US Naval Air StationPort Lyautey, Morocco

ON THE LEFT, yours truly and ON THE RIGHT, Jim Killebrew. The photos were taken near the tower of Hassan in Rabat. How we both came to visit this site, together, using a Navy vehicle to drive there from Port Lyautey, with an off-base pass, while one of us was still on duty, cannot be divulged until I am absolutely convinced the military Statute of Limitations has run out. And my thanks to Jerry Zimmerman who used his photographic talents to enhance these two photographs.


LEFT, The bottom rack was my home away from home. The "boot" had the upper rack. RIGHT, J. Lannom (CN) reaping the profits after an investment in Pinochle (or was it cribbage?).

The following photographs are of the people that I remember most from my duty time at Port Lyautey. I often think of these people and wonder where they are and what they are doing now.


Left, Tom (Fuzzy) Kramer, BU3, and yours truly in 1957. Fuzzy and I returned to the States on the USNS Randall in 1959. He to discharge and me to assignment with MCB #4. Fuzzy was from New Jersey.

Fuzzy, Walt Owsiany (above) and I shared the same barracks cubicle.

Walt was from Pennsylvania. I remember the pinochle games we played with John Skoglund below, goofing off with them by watching (insufferable) re-runs of Victory at Sea in the surveyor's shack while we were supposed to be working and the three day liberty in Cadiz, Spain where for 20 pesetas (5 cents), we could get a beer and some shrimp at an outdoor cafe.That local price was increased after the Navy decided to move its operations from Port Lyautey to the new base at NAS Rota.


On Mother's Day, 2004, I received an e-mail from Walt after his daughter came across this website and saw his picture. And on the weekend of July 29th - August 1st, 2004, Walt, his bride and daughter visited my bride and I in Norton, MA, Needless to say, we have re-established an old friendship after a 45 year hiatus.



That Mother's day and the visit have turned out to become memorable days of my life. I would also add that after 45 years of separation, it is obvious to my eyes that we have not changed a bit :-). On September 14th through 17th, 2009, my bride and I had an opportunity to visit and spend time with Walt and his family in their home in Catawissa, Pennsylvania. Yup, as far as I am concerned, we still have not changed.




On the left, John Skoglund (SV3), on the right, Lou Helwig, also am SV playing in one of the many barracks Pinochle games. John later saw duty on the USS Maury. I had tried to track him down a few times having come across his name on the Internet (military websites) and we finally re-connected when John came across this website. He later graduated from San Diego State around 1967 - 68 after Naval service.

Wayne Fisher, (CMCN). I served with him again in MCB #4 at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where he earned CMH2. Lost track of him after I left MCB #4 for discharge.

Jim & Marylin Killebrew. Of all the people at Port Lyautey, Jim & Marylin are the ones I think of most. They both were from Pocatello, Idaho and I hope life has been good to them and they are happy wherever they are now. Jim was a EON2 at Port Lyautey. I saw Jim and his family in 1963 while they were stationed at the Construction Battalion Center in Davisville, RI. Jim was an EO1 by then and I hope he made Chief Petty Officer soon after that.

Also remember Josette S. Morin Eaton. She was born in Port Lyautey and was from the neighborhood of la ville haute in Port Lyautey. She married Richard Morin, YN3, who worked in the Administration Building in 1959. Her dad worked at the munition depot that touched the base. Her Mom was Spanish and her Dad was French.

In the following photographs, on the left, Josette is seen on a motor scooter (standard mode of transportation for many navy personnel) and on the right with Captain Counihan at an Administration Building personnel cookout.

According to his daughter Anita, Captain John Counihan was assigned to BUPERS following his tour of duty as COMNAVACTS at Port Lyautey and retired shortly after completing the BUPERS assignment. Captain Counihan was a 1932 graduate of the Naval Academy. Both he and Mrs. Counihan passed away in the 1980's and are buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

I had been temporarily assigned (punishment duty according to the Chief who assigned me) as a duty driver for Captain Counihan. To make a long story short, the Captain took a liking to me, and used me for making multiple trips to Tangier, Casablanca, Fez, Marrachesh and Rabat all on "official duty" with him. Drove for him and Bob Hope during the Xmas 58 USO show and acted as his interpreter when he attended a meeting in Athens, Greece................... Thanks Chief!!!!!