Click Here For The 2002 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2003 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2004 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2005 Guestlog

Click Here For The 2006 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2007 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2008 Guestlog ~ Click Here For The 2009 Guestlog

Click Here For The 2010 Guestlog

POSTED: 12/22/11 1230 hours


I stayed for several days at the base, awaiting a MATS flight home in August 1957, following a hernia operation at the Naval Hospital Naples Italy. My flight on a propellor plane had two refueling stops - Azores and Argentcia Newfondland, ending in Norfolk.

Bob Washburn ~ b.washburn@cox.net
USS William R. Rush (DDR-714)

POSTED: 12/19/11 2145 hours

Dear Mr. Demas:

I am attempting to locate anybody who might have been working with my (deceased) father, Jesus Shamdas Mata at the Kenitra Naval Station from 1960-1970. He was employed as a civilian and was originally from Spain.

We were living in Kenitra at that time and I remember going with him periodically to the Base, taking a tour or going to the Oasis....I was only 7 or 8 years old. I do not know which Unit or Squadron he worked for but I remember he worked with 2 ladies in the office (one from England and another one named Patricia). He would take me sometimes to the motor pool where he had a good friend working, also from Spain and named Felices. I apologize for my sketchy information........I was just a child and unfortunately my mother does not have any additional information.

I am curious as to whether or not there might be a record or list of civilians that worked at the Naval Station in Kenitra and their respective assignments or jobs with the US Military. My father passed away in 1998 but he always spoke highly and with honor of the times he worked at the Station. Unfortunately, he did not live long enough to see his son enlist in the USAF as a National Guard Member (I was commissioned in 2009). We left Morocco in 1970 and moved to Malaga, Spain where he worked as a travel agent until his forced retirement due to poor health in 1995.

Again, please accept my apologies for not providing you with any significant leads or meaningful information to locate other workmates but this is pretty much all I have now.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanking you for serving,

Glenn J. Shamdas, Fargo, ND ~ gshamdas@cableone.net

POSTED: 12/12/11 0830 hours

My father, Homer C. Lucas, was a Warrant Office with a FasRon unit based at P.L. in the early 1950's. I am his oldest daughter, Donna, who travelled with her mother and four siblings from Norfolk, Va., to Patuxent Naval Air Station, Md., where we flew on a "cargo plane" to P.L. At the time I was eleven years old, and our ages went down to nine months. We departed P.R.N. A.S. three days before Christmas and flew from P.R. to Newfoundland where we ran into a horrible blowing snow storm and two of our motors on the plane froze up. The passengers onboard were a Captain, two enlisted personnel, two naval stewards, six of us, the pilot and co-pilot, not to mention one side of the plane was filled with cargo. There was a row of "bucket seats" on one side of the plane and four "regular" seats in the back of the plane. No heat on the plane and we were bundled up in blankets and huddled together to keep warm. Coffee was frozen in the coffee pot and could not be offered to the adults. We landed safely in Newfoundland where the enlisted men on the plane and enlisted personnel from the "terminal" came to our rescue in helping with the younger children so they wouldn't be blown away. We were in this one room terminal for about four to six hours where we were kept warm and given hot coffee and chocolate. Once the storm had died down a little and all four motors were running properly we were helped back to the plane where we continued on to the Azores for our last stop before landing in P.L. We spent about three or fours hours in the Azores where we were taken to the enlisted cafeteria for breakfast. We finally landed on the air strip in P.L. about 10 hours late with a much worried father watching us taxi into the terminal. It was now a little less than two days before Christmas. After many hugs and kisses and tears my father put us in a very small car, for the size of our family, and the funny thing was a "wooden block" under the back of the seat is what held the seat up.....yes, my father had the experience of having the block move from under the seat but he was alone in the car at the time and no injury occurred.

One of the wives of one of the enlisted men had a Christmas dinner waiting for us (God Bless her she tried her best to keep the food as warm as she could). Mom and all of us kids were tired, hungry and sleepy and couldn't wait to get to our new home in a foreign land. I must admit it was nice to get off the airplane in such a warm climate with the sweet smell of flowers as we travelled down the road into the city. Once having left the city we head to Medhia Beach where my dad had rented a one-bedroom bungalow on the third level. The road to the beach passed a "whaling station" where the blubber was boiled down and "what a horrible smell". This was the first home we lived in with no hot water, no electricity and no drinking water!! We moved several months later to the first level and into a two-story
building. Again, no electricity, no hot water, no drinking water, and only a galvanized tub for bathing, unless you wanted to take a cold shower in a room off from the garage. A year later we moved into the city where we had a bath tub, no hot water but, we had electricity so we had lights in the house.

After about two years we left P.L. and dad was stationed in Quonset Point, Rhode Island. I have often wanted to go back to P.L. and see what changes had been made. As a young person I thoroughly enjoyed living and meeting new friends in a strange place and will always remember the sweet smell of flowers in the area of the Officer's Club. My father's commander had housing in a Quonset hut across the street from the club and when I would babysit for them and the windows and doors were open the sweet smell would blow through the house. I might also add that I was in the 8th grade now and we "moved" into the "new" school down on the water. I experienced things that none of my friends had ever or would ever experience. My mother and father are dead now but I know it was one of my
mother's favorite places to live as a military wife, inconveniences and all. Memories, thank God we have them.

Donna Sadler ~ jimdon4@comcast.net

POSTED: 12/09/11 1400 hours


In March of 1954, while on duty in the radio shack aboard the USS Fred T.Berry DDE-858 in the Mediterranean Sea, I picked up an SOS from the Empire Windrush. She had been unable to contact anyone else to tell they had caught fire and was in danger of sinking. Difficulty in establishing radio contact during the wee small hours was not uncommon in those days. I contacted the
ship and carefully took down their position and forwarded it to Radio Port Lyautey. I assume they picked up the ball and notified British sea rescue. All passengers (1276) and the crew, save the 4 who died in the engine room explosion and fire, were rescued. It's a good thing you (Port Lyautey) guys were there.

Paul Seery RMSN, Canton, MA, ~ prseery@verizon.net

POSTED: 12/05/11 1310 hours

My father was stationed at Port Lyautey in 1955-56. My mother and I went over and met him when I was 6 months old. I don't know if there are any of the vets still around now that might have known
my father. He was Joseph (Joe) L. Rinehart. He came from Georgia. He was a Chief in the Navy. Just glad to know that I can find a website about Port Lyautey.

Bonnie Rinehart Moore ~ brm123@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 11/22/11 0430 hours

Sergeant Pratt of the US Marine Corps (Cook), and I served together at the communication base at Sidi Bouknadel in late 1954 - late 1955. I have been trying to track him down for quite some time and would love to know how he is. He originates from Buffallo New York State. I worked in the electrical plant which supplied the base and the radio station.

I was a 19 years old seaman with the US navy and I have often thought of him and wondered how he was.

Seaman Thomas Greer. ~ tomgreer.greer@gmail.com

POSTED: 11/22/11 0430 hours


FRANK CTR-3 NAVSECGRU 1957-1963 ~ fcote@verizon.net

POSTED: 11/20/11 1715 hours

Hi Lou,

Great web site. I was in Morocco from 1958 until 1962. I worked for Page Communications at Sidi Slimane. I lived in Kenitra and my son was born in the hospital on the Navy Base in Kenitra in 1961. I am enjoying looking at all the old photos. I know your focus in on Kenitra but I wonder if the site will expand to include Sidi Slimane.


Bob Trimper ~ rob.trimper@gmail.com

Bonita Springs, Florida & London, England

Web-Editor Note! Sorry Bob but there are no plans to include any of the Air Force bases on the Port Lyautey website.

POSTED: 11/09/11 0850 hours

To whom it may concern:

I was stationed in Port Lyautey in the late 70's and had a friend named Wayne Gall who was also stationed there. I have been trying to locate Wayne with no success. If you have any contact information for him, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Robert Brown ~ RBrown7784@aol.com

POSTED: 11/09/11 0825 hours

Hi Lou,

Thanks for keeping this going, Haven't posted before but have observed for years and found some friends. I was stationed at the power plant in "70 & 71". Would like to find Jim Rindflesch, FN Porter, John Thackery, Dave Whetley, Larry Spahr and Eddie Edmonds. Good memories of places, people and things.

Don Klim CE2 Trenton NJ HCMB Donek@Verizon.net

POSTED: 11/08/11 0745 hours

Dear Mr. Demas,

I was tooling around the internet and came across your wonderful site. I was born at Port Lyautey in June 1958. My dad was CM1 Leo F. Wiggins, I think he was in the CB's but not sure if he was in a CB role in Port Lyautey., his wife /my mom is Patricia Wiggins. I think my dad worked in the public works shop/ power plant? His good friend/drinking buddy was Earl Reneau (sp). I think my mom has some old photos of the time they spent there and I'll try to dig them up. I was wondering if you happened to know my Dad or Mr. Reneau . . . he always talked of the place fondly and I remember seeing some old 8mm movies that I think were taken there. . . . it seems there were a lot of "come as you are" parties. I'm planning on showing my mom this site. My Dad passed a few years ago but I know my Mom will love to look at some of the old photos and maybe even remember some of the folks on the site. Any way I saw this site and thought I would jump on the guestbook to say hello and thank you for all the work on this site. I always tell people I am a native African American because I was born in Africa. My parents also told me that when I was born the folks at the hospital told them I could be president because I was actually born on American soil. . . . not to worry I'm not seeking that position.

That's all for now and hope to hear from you when get a chance.


Vane Wiggins ~ vane.wiggins12612@gmail.com

POSTED: 11/06/11 1545 hours

My name is Frank Morris and I was an Aerographers Mate First Class attached to the Fleet Weather Central from June 1953 to December 1954. The first year I was in charge of the upper air section which was located right off the third tee of the golf course. We launched our radiosonde weather balloons down the third fairway. The last six months I was at the main office in the new Operations Building which had just been completed. When my wife Jeri and son Michael got there we lived in town at 4 Rue de Nancy for the first three months and on the fourth level at Mehdia Beach for the remainder of the tour. It was a great tour of duty. Thanks for the great web site.

Frank Morris – femorris@att.net
AGCS (Retired)

POSTED: 11/06/11 1545 hours

My name is John I. “Red” Hacker LIC, USN Retired.I was station in Port in the years 1956 to 1959. Was the BEST tour of duty I ever had. I remember the Agadir earthquake, and the response from the sailors and their families. CWO John Morford setting up his ham radio and staying at it for the first 48 hours, the 4th of July parade and picnic and fire works that night. CAPT. “Bull” Dawson C/O of FICELM going on TAD and telling the O/X to get his car painted while he was gone, and to come back and have a great big red bull painted on it. He didn’t tell us what color to paint it. The trips all around the country side and the friendly citizens of the host country. The memories and the people I remember are great.Living in half a Q-hut on base right next to the Kindergarten school, and across the street from the football field. Going to the soft-ball diamond to watch Ralph Maxy (sp) pitch. Too, many other people and memories to mention.


POSTED: 11/05/11 1640 hours

I was stationed at Sidi Yahia right out of ETA school in 1966. I was there in 1966 and 1967. It was my first duty station after school. I was sent on a MAT flight to Spain and then on a C-47 to Rabat (Port Lyautey. I remember I had duty one night and some locals dug up the communications cable (IIRC it was a100 pair cable) between the transmitter site and the comm center and cut out a 10 foot section. It took a while to splice a new section of cable in to restore communications. The copper in the cable was worth some money to the locals. After working at the transmitter site I worked at the Tropo site for a while.

I transferred to the Coast Guard in 1974.

John R. Johnson ~ jewelld@cox.net

POSTED: 11/02/11 1200 hours

My name is Denny Workman (CT02). I was stationed at NCS Sidi Yahia from 1970 to 1972. ~ dworkman@carlsonwagonlit.com

POSTED: 10/21/11 0845 hours

My Dad Lt Cdr Jack James USN-SC was stationed at Port Lyautey from 1956­58 when I was age 10 - 12. We lived in the town of Port Lyautey. Earlier this year my sister and I decided to revisit Morocco. However, we were unable to gain access to the base which is now part of the Royal Moroccan Air Force. Before we went, we tried every angle we could to get on the base....contacted the Moroccan Embassy (courteous but non-responsive), contact an acquaintance who is teaching at the American School in Rabat (his Moroccan contacts were not able to help). I got the feeling that if we
greased the palm of someone we might have gotten somewhere. Anyway, we did go through Port Lyautey and had it grown! We were unable to find where we used to live in the town but drove around the town which was very congested. We did learn that the base was used for some flight line scenes in the movie ³Black Hawk Down.² Sale near Rabat was used for other scenes in that movie and the ³the Green Zone²

Morocco has really changed. Well built Four lane toll roads stretching from Marrakech to Fez to Tangier. Large farms and modern farm equipment. The young women wear blue jeans, sunglasses and wear makeup. About 25% of the older women wore the taditional djlabas (sp?) Women drive cars. In the arid eastern part of Morocco the government is putting in water lines. Everyone loves the King and will tell you so to the point that I became uncomfortable. Police and Army are present most everywhere. Roadblocks are a common experience. We were there in March, 2011 after the conflict with Libya had begun and security was tight even at the airport in Casablanca (formerly Nouassauer AFB). The people were very friendly and always extended an outstretched palm looking for a tip (that aspect of daily life
has not changed). It was fun but I do not think we will ever go back (too old).

Elizabeth James ~ ejames71@verizon.net

POSTED: 10/09/11 1835 hours





ROBERT DAVIS- US NAVY RET. unclepoppyrld@msn.com

POSTED: 10/06/11 0840 hours

In may, 1958 I was a young navy airman assigned to a bomber squadron from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Our navy P2V neptune bombers were used in the cold war and we were flown to Port Lyautey/Kenitra as Mr Krushev was ratling his sabers. Gone are both the naval air bases and the beloved P2V Neptune bombers.

Ed Scott Bruce, WI. ~ erscott@brucetel.net

POSTED: 09/11/11 0700 hours

Hi I would like to be added to the web site – I was born in Pt. Lyautey in 1956 – the 5th child of Rose and Ed Diamond – from Philadelphia, I believe they were there from 54 – 57. He was a baker during his years there.

Thanks, I would like this personal email to be my address: roseannediamondd@sbcglobal.net


POSTED: 09/06/11 0430 hours

I found your site today after doing a Web search, prompted by an old photo I found of my father, Edward H. Pate, playing golf at the Naval Air Station. The photo is undated, but my dad signed off on his note on back of the photo, addressed to my mom, as "Ed/DaDa", so this photo would have been taken probably in 1958 (I was born in December 1957). The only other information is "Ray and I had lots of fun."

My dad died in 1991, a career Air Force man, and this photo never surfaced in time for us to talk about it, so this site is the only link I have to that time in his life.

Thank you for providing me with more specifics, linking me to my dad and to a greater knowledge of my country's military service and those who have done so much in that line of service.

Edward Pate ~ edwardpate@hotmail.com

P.S. (Lou, I currently live in Pensacola, your old stomping ground.)

POSTED: 09/03/11 1215 hours

I was stationed at Port Lyautey from 1957 to 1959. I was at the Radar site up the hill from the barracks and also at the comm. Center. I can only remember a few names anymore. One was RM2 Grenemeyer , (spelling?0 from the comm. Center. I remember an RD# named Thacker from the radar gang. I belive the chief we had was Morrison.

I was RD3 and busted to RDSN while at Port Lyautey because I reported to the comm. Center intoxicated, haha.

I used to hang out with some VQ2 guys off base just outside the gate. The house belonged to an AD! who had 2 daughters about 13 yo and 15yo. I had flown to Morrocco with them from Charles SC AFB in 1957.

I'd love to hear from people who could help me with names etc.

John Scannell OSC USN Ret. ~ john_scannell@yahoo.com

POSTED: 08/27/11 0700 hours

Hello Lou Can’t give you enough credit for your work and perseverance with this site. Found it on Google to my pleasant surprise. I only served there by detachment in 1954 for approx. 5 months but enjoyed each minute of it Did not know how good it was until after discharge. When we arrived in Naples I was notified I would be leaving Lake Champlain, CVA 39, with 4 AD6 Sky Raiders for temp. assignment to Port Lyautey French Morocco. I was a ADR2 and our squadron was VA 85. Never knew such a place existed but soon acclimated and enjoyed the sights and local folks. Great memories and hope I might locate former shipmates with this.

Thanks again Lou

Werner Meyer ~ doweswift@msn.com

POSTED: 08/25/11 1715 hours

Between August 1970 till October 1972 I lived with my husband on base at Kenitra Morocco. He was an ET stationed at Bouknadel. His name was William Sims Irwin and he was born Nov 12, 1946 and died nearly five years ago in Dallas TX after battling schizophrenia for most of his adult life. I’d like to let his buddies from those Navy days in Morocco know that Bill remembered many of you guys till the end. Some of our fondest times were spent in Morocco. If anyone can give me contact information for his best friend...Anthony Mastantoneo (not certain of the spelling, but Tony was then married to Jane and had a young son, Tony Jr. who was about 5 or 6 years old...in 1971. Anthony was from Pennsylvania and very interested in horses and wanted to become a furrier). Anyway, any leads on Tony would be greatly appreciated. I can be contacted at cynfil!@aol.com Hopefully someone will remember my ex-husband, Bill Irwin and his friend Tony.

Thanks, Cynthia McGuire cynfil1@aol.com

POSTED: 08/17/11 1300 hours

While attending Kenitra American High School, I was able to play "DJ" on the base radio station on Sunday mornings - kept me out of trouble and gave the guys a break! Anyway, some 40 years later, I can still remember what I said hundreds of times: "Your voice of home, your sound of America. You're listening to AFRTS, 1484 on your radio dial." Hope that brightens up your day!

Doug Campbell (dcamp@aol.com)

POSTED: 08/06/11 1700 hours

I was stationed at Sidi Yahia (the NAVAL SECURITY GROUP STATION) 1961- Feb/1963

My name is William P. (BILL) Bennett, PhD
at the time I was stationed in Morocco my rate was CTR-2

I used to spend many hours at Mama's as well as the Fleet Reserve and a few other choice places. Like everyone I fell in love with a girl by the name of Claudia and then another named Jackie. It was a fantastic time in my youth - and like George C Scott said as he played Patton "MOROCCO IS LIKE THE BIBLE AND HOLLYWOOD ROLLED INTO ONE" . To me it was a place of beauty and wonder. Of course a monthly trip to Casablanca was enjoyable also.

Contact me at wbennett@proaxis.com
Bill Bennett

POSTED: 07/26/11 1220 hours

Thanks for this web site Lou, I was stationed in Sidi Yahia from June 1968 thru November 1969, lived in Kenitra, enjoyed the beaches and surrounding areas, played on the base softball and football teams, lots of great athletes in Delta Section: Dick Snyder, Joe Savino, Joe Tamasy, Denny, Tony, Joe. Lots of great memories.

Mike Brown ~ mbrown2@cmpd.org

POSTED: 07/23/11 1955 hours

I'm a young guy from Port Lyautey wich now called Kénitra. I found your web site and liked it so much. And i just wanted to say hi to all the people who worked here, and who let those facilities that are still used by our airforce. Hello from Kénitra former PortLyautey!

Ahmed ZAHRI ~ duskminister@gmail.com

POSTED: 07/17/11 1235 hours

Dear Sir, I Tryed To Send You an E-mail from The Port Lyautey Site & It would Not Go!!! Maybe I Did Something Wrong Don't Know!!! I was at Port Lyautey in 1972-73. Would Like to Share some good times with former Shipmates There. Please Let Me Know If You can direct Me to do the right thing. Thanks so much. Vernon D Carter vernellen1951@yahoo.com.

POSTED: 07/12/11 0930 hours

I got on Gmail and have no forwarding . My email address is jlm.dvm@att.net. Was in PL and Rota in VQ-2 in 1958-1959 AQ3 ,US Navy, went to fighter squadron on USS Intrepid for discharge.

Jim Manning
Palm City, FL

POSTED: 07/06/11 1600 hours

Thanks for the website. I am hoping to find anyone who was stationed in Morocco around the 1962 - 1965 timeframe and remembers a Sarah Elaine Muchow or Sally. Sally was married to a Navy Chief - Ed Muchow who was with the Naval Security Group at that time. Any information would be appreciated. Timothy.mcclees@mail.house.gov

POSTED: 06/29/11 1200 hours

Hi, Jerry W. Sharp, Worked at NCS Sidi Yahia in the ET shop (worked on the Autovon switchboard equipment) and from March of 1971 to November of 1974. Lived in downtown Kenitra (about half way between the clock and the train station) for most of the time but was forced to move to NTC Kenitra in a Quonset hut for the last year. Spent a lot of time at Lake Roumi, had a cabin there and used the Special Services ski boat a lot.

Married to Pam Sharp, she worked at the NTC Exchange warehouse and our daughter was born there just before we came back home to Florence Alabama.If you would like to contact me my email is jw_sharp@comcast.net

Jerry W. Sharp
Florence Alabama

POSTED: 06/028/11 0630 hours

Hi Lou

Nice site I was stationed at Sidi Yahia from June 1969 to October 1970. Had some great time and served with good people

Lou Wieland ~ lwiel@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 06/025/11 0615 hours

Hi Lou,

Just want to thank you for a great website. There is so little info on Port Layutey and our service there.

I was stationed at Port Layutey from March 26, 1951 to May 5, 1952 in Fasron 104. I was AD3 working on the F4U4 corsairs, the F2H2 Banshees and various others. If I have the right info the base patch was a picture of a falcon sitting on a piling and the squadron patch was two falcons with a banner over them that read UTPROSIM. I only have pictures of the two patches and have been searching for the real patches for quite some time. Do you know of any? After my time at Port Layutey I was transferred to Pax River NAS. Do you know of anyone who served the same time I did?

Lew Fry ~ lefry3503@gmail.com

POSTED: 06/020/11 0730 hours

Hey Lou, great site have been enjoying it. FInally figured out how to get on board. Worked at crash vrew 1969-1970. Worked for Chief Reeder. Great bunch of guys. Had a lot of fun!! Would like to send this photo of the members of crash crew in the summer of 1970. Please see photo by clicking here and scrolling down to the bottom of page. Any members of crash crew, I would love to hear from you!

Thank you,
Chuck Ball ~ cball2828@comcast.net

POSTED: 06/019/11 1730 hours

Hi Lou,

I'm writing to let you know that Jeri Yasi passed away on Thursday, June 16th, at 5PM. She had been staying at her son's house for a few weeks. Jeri called my mother, Millie Bailey, about 2 days earlier to let her know that she was dying. Needless to say, my mother took it pretty hard.

That leaves my mother as the only one left in that photo I sent you of her with Jeri and Fr. Kieffer.

Again, I'm sorry to have written with such bad news, but I thought that you would want to know of Jeri's passing.

Bob Bailey

WEB-EDITOR'S NOTE!.....Jeri Yasi was a warm and wonderful woman who was at Port Lyautey with her husband Carl in the 1960's and contributed both photo's and stories to this website. May God have welcomed her home with open arms!

POSTED: 06/015/11 1350 hours

Just ran into your site, was in VR-24 from 1955 to 1957. I flew as a plane captain and worked in power plants, was an AD-2 at the time. we had a great bunch of guys. Saw one name that I knew in the 2002 postings but no e-mail address. Donald E. Boose. He was an AT-1 at the time. We had a scary time while ferrying an R4D from Jax to Port lyautey in August 1956. Marshall C. Jones AFCM Ret marjo17@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 06/013/11 2330 hours

This website has received a request from Gordon K. Werner, gordon@wa98104.us, requesting the squadron identification for the below Kenitra based aircraft. Year is unknown. Please respond directly to Gordon at his e-mail address.



POSTED: 06/013/11 1415 hours

My name is Marvin Mullins. I was a QM3 and stationed in Kenitra between 1965-1967. I lived in one of the Quonset huts near the base theatre. My son was born there in 1965. I left there wearing my red Fess in 1975. I remained in the Navy for 30 years retiring in 1989. I was advanced to QMC then changed ratings to MAC. Selected for MACS and as the DETAILER for the MA Rating. Made CWO in 1982 later retired as a LT in 1989.

I remember working closely with the AC ratings there. Do you remember the nights at the open air theatres where it seemed to rain it was so damp. My Brother Arthur was in the Security Department as a DC3 at the time. I worked at night as a duty Manager at the Fleet Reserve Club downtown Kenitra for most of the time. Remember the old C-45/C-47 flights to Rota Spain for fresh bread and milk?
Traveled many times to SIDI to visit Italian friends Chico and Teresa Kempsey. Still say in touch. They are in San Diego California now. I still work for the Navy for the MSC headquarters in Norfolk.
My email address is marvin.mullins1@navy.mil.

Hope to hear from some of the old crew.

Marvin Mullins
Facilities/Physical Security Director
MSFSC, Building SP-64
471 C Street
Norfolk, Va. 23511
Office (757) 443-2775
Cell (757) 777-6764
Fax (757) 443-3609

POSTED: 05/018/11 2100 hours

Hi, My name is Abdelkader Berrouane. I am from Kenitra Morocco but presently live in Montreal Canada. During the early 70's, I think it was 1972 at Mehdia Beach, I think it was in July around 6p.m. I was on the rocks off the beach fishing with my friends.

I was watching the beach shore and noticed a little girl with her baby brother playing in the sand making a sandcastle. The little girl didn't notice her brother being pulled into the ocean by a wave. I tried to calculate approx what direction he was being pulled to and I jumped in and swam underwater and was lucky to find him before he hit the rocks. I held him in my arms and swam to the shore. His sister was frantically looking for him. I gave him to her. I didn't speak any English at that time and she didn't speak French. she was approx 5-6 yrs old. Her parents were laying on the sand quite away from the shore. She ran to them with the baby and they came to the shore to look for me. I had already swam back to my fishing spot and because I didn't speak english, I didn't approach them. I just happy that I had saved his life. I was just wondering what happened to that little boy as I often think about him. He was a little blonde haired boy. My uncle worked at the American Base - his name was Omer. He worked there for many years - chief of public work at the base. Sidi Bouk and he often told us stories about you guys which made me wish to to to America. Thank you guys for what you did for Kenitra and Morocco in developing the town and making Kenitra prosperous while you were there. Hope to hear from you.

Abdelkader Berrouane akberrouane@hotmail.com

POSTED: 05/01/11 1300 hours

Mr Lou,

My name is Zineb Underwood and I am originally from Mehdia beach. Your website brought so many good memories about my hometown Kenitra (Port Lyautey). I truly applaud your efforts. I was a little kid but I stillremember the American families who lived in Mehdia. We all were like one family. I remember the weekend Ber Beque in Mehdia beach and how we used to count days before Christmas because the American families would invite us to decorate the Christmas trees with their children and also they would buy us Christmas gifts. We shared all their celebrations with them and they shared
ours with us.

As matter fact, I am searching for this American family who used to be our neighbors in Mehdia beach. We grew up together like brothers and sisters. Their last name is Masse (I am not sure if I am spelling it correctly). People in Mehdia called their father Monsieur Masse (Monsieur is French word for Mister in English). American soldiers called him chief. They were three kids. Monique the oldest (she must be in her sixties) and she got married while In Morocco. Her husband is not an American and his last name is Romero. His family owned some kind of business in Port Lyautey. Denise is the middle daughter (she must be in her fifty's) she is a nurse and she got married in USA to an American soldier, and Malcom (he is the youngest, he must be in his late forties). Their mom was French and passed away while they lived in Mehdia. The father passed too in Arizona in early eighties. Monique and Denise brought his ashes to Morocco and buried him next to their mom in a cemetery in Port Lyautey.

I found some valuable information about the American family that I am searching for. On your web site there is this soldier, his name is Robert J. Brown. He was station in Port Lyautey between 1971-1977, he mentionned that he married this Moroccan girl and her name is Rahma. Rahma used to work for Masse's family (the family that I am looking for) I sent an email but I think the address email is no longer used by Robert. I live in Houston, TX and I am so eager to find this family to the point I am inpatient to wait. Is it possible to help get in touch with Robert?

Please, anyone who recognizes this family and has information about them, would you contact me in the following email: underwoodhome@verizon.net

Thank you

POSTED: 04/20/11 0800 hours


What a pleasure to find this website. Im still in touch with a Marine that was stationed there with me from Louisiana. Also bumped into a Howard Moulton (Navy) from Kittery Maine on a ski trip in Europe, other than that just the memories. It was great reading all the other comments that brought back a lot of memories. I was out at RTF Bouknadel from Sep 77 to Sep 78, it was a sad day when we took our flag down and closed the gate behind us. I wish I could have stayed there longer, what a great duty station.

David Farr 1st Sgt USMC (Ret) Belmont, N.H. ~ farrdavid6@yahoo.com

POSTED: 04/12/11 0800 hours


Rocco DeRobertis ~ roccode@cox.net

POSTED: 04/05/11 0850 hours

I lived in one of those Quonset huts for about two years before being moved to a real house. My oldest son was born in the hospital . Best duty station I ever had.

Ronnie Roberts" <rroberts94@cox.net

POSTED: 04/04/11 0950 hours

My name is Gina Hurt and I was stationed in Kenitra from 1976-1977. It was my first duty station and my favorite. I lived the Moroccan experience and loved every minute of it. I was a corpsman and worked on the ward and for a short time in the operating room. Your site has brought back many memories. I plan on looking back at all my pictures again.

My email is: gyhill@comcast.net

POSTED: 04/04/11 0710 hours


I was stationed with the Navy in Kenitra from late 1968 to June 1970, my first duty station. I was the Security Department Yeoman (YNSN) and will always remember the great times I had there. A significant amount of my time was spent playing softball, basketball and bowling. I remember Stork beer very well and, when I traveled to Rota for a few sports all star gamestournaments, we also consumed a lot of San Miguel. I remember some of the officers. CAPT Abrams was base CO, but died of a heart attack and was replaced by the XO, Capt Cadenas. LT Perez was Public Works Officer and LT Jack Dameron was Personnel Officer. Coincidentally I ran into CDR Dameron in 1989 in San Antonio just before I retired. I think I will remember most, my transfer back to the states on an ocean liner which picked several of us up in Gibralter. I also enjoyed trips to Tangier and Casablanca. Where have all the years gone? Thank you for this website and the memories.

The photograph to the right is of Bill Collins when he was a member of the Base softball all-star team, 1969, standing in front of the Security Department barracks.

W. S. Collins ~ cpocollins@yahoo.com
YNC, Retired

POSTED: 03/28/11 2020 hours

Veteran of Navy SeaBees stationed at Naval Training Command at Kenitra, Morocco.Was there pretty much all of 1968-1969. I was an Engineering Aid Surveyor working at Public Works. I played on
the Public Works softball and basketball teams. I have just a whole lot of pictures from my time there, both on base and off base. I also have some copies of the base newspaper, the "Kenitra Kourier". I got to drive many tour buses on trips over the weekends for servicemen and their dependents to a lot of other cities around there.

One thing I will never forget is flying to Gibralter on the old three wheel plane,a n old World War 2 plane, that was a week-end trip I took many times. Got my hunting license over there,still have them,and went duck hunting and wild boar hunting.Made many good friends over there!!!

Bud Clymer ~ bclymer1963@yahoo.com

POSTED: 03/24/11 1430 hours

Lou, First of all your site again has helped people!

I was sent an email from a Mrs Loper whose nephew was onboard the A-3 and bailed out and was not recovered. She saw our Accident page info on the Port Lyautey website and wrote to me for help in acquring info about the crash in order to try to get her nephew on the Vietnam Memorial. I was able to connect her with Captain Hank Schultz who had knowledge of the event and connections with people involved. I'm pleased to say that they have almost finished their tasks of getting the lost crew names on the memorial. (See Email Below). Lou thanks to your site, people are able to connect with the appropiate people to make honoring these vets possible.

Please update and change the spelling of the Navigator its currently listed as as LT Lindsey it should be LT Walter Al Linzy, he name is also listed in the text. Slide #

P.S. The Stocker family wrote me before and told me that the Navy never told them how their loved one had died, so this was news to them and they appreciated the info.

Thanks, John Herndon ~ herndonjohn@hotmail.com


All, I got it wrong Hunt was Mrs Lopers uncle: Here's her email to me.

EA-3B BUNO 142257 R-3?

To vq2sandeman@hotmail.com
From: Stephanie Loper (stephloper@yahoo.com)
Sent: Sun 2/13/11 7:50 AM
To: vq2sandeman@hotmail.com

Mr. Herndon:

You seem to be the expert researcher regarding the history of VQ-2 and I am asking for your help. My uncle, Richard C. Hunt, ATR3, USN, bailed out of a naval aircraft on May 26, 1966, his body was never recovered. During my research, I have been told that this flight was a combat mission and headed to Yankee Station, then on to a carrier or to DaNang. Do you have any documentation on this?

I believe if I can prove where they were headed (into the combat zone); then my uncle will qualify to have his name placed on the Vietnam Memorial Wall and will also be in the database of the Dept. of Defense, POW/MIA; which then would qualify his name to be placed on our local memorial wall in Crawford County, PA.

I feel this was just an oversight on the Dept. of Defense at the time the names were submitted for constructin of the Wall, probably due to the sensitive nature.

From: Henry Schultz [mailto:hankschu@att.net]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 8:44 PM
To: mark.swisher@att.net
Subject: Crew of 142257


John Herndon asked me to contact Stephanie Loper, the neice of ATR-3 Richard Hunt, one of the backend crew of 142257 who were lost on May 26, 1966. With the efforts she has made to gather data, and with some assistance in the approaches to use, we have provided OP135, the MIA POW people, with records, including excerpts from the Log Book of Colin Pemberton, the NAV from the flight. We have also successfully gotten VQ-2 engaged. I believe that by the reunion, we will be able to announce that, since we have provided clear evidence that the mission on which they were lost was a 4V2, flight, a classification for a combat mission, qualifying the four for the wall, as combat casualties.

As part of the process, we have learned that the EVAL was incorrectly listed, even on some official reports. He was LT Walter A. (Al) Linzy, not Lindsey, as reported in memorials, and even on the VQ-2 listing of Rangers still on watch located at the Squadron spaces at Whidbey. We have found his son, Walter A. Linzy, who currently flies a KC-135, tracking oil slicks in the Gulf of Mexico. He is a retired Army CWO, having been an Army pilot.

OP-135 is trying to speed things along, potentially allowing an announcement at the reunion.

Just wanted to get you up to speed.


Hank Schultz

Fly Navy

POSTED: 03/24/11 0430 hours

I was in Kenitra, Morocco from August 1972 to December 1974 and loved every minute of it. I was dating and later married my wife from Spain and use to make the trip back and forth every weekend until we got married. My first son was born in Kenitra.

Ronnie Roberts ~ :rroberts94@cox.net

POSTED: 03/21/11 1430 hours

Every time I find my way back here (Port Lyautey website) I think I have stepped back in time 40 years. I know that is not possible, but this is the next best thing to doing so. Thank You Lou for your hard work and dedication to maintaining the Port Lyautey website.

Regards, Darian Paganelli USNRST Bouknadel 1969-1970 ~ dpanop3698@sbcglobal.net

POSTED: 03/21/11 0230 hours

I was stationed at Sidi Yahia from June 1969 until January 1971. I was a radioman and worked out at the remote site and communicated with the ships in the Mediterranean Sea. I remember spending many nights at the EM Club and taking bus rides for liberty to Kenitra. There was a soviet 'factory' across the street from the main gate that had a bunch of antennae on it's roof. I really enjoyed my time there and was sad when I got orders to report to a destroyer that was in the Med when I was assigned to her.

David Kingsbury formerly RM3 when I left the Navy in 1973. dkingsbury2@aol.com

POSTED: 03/19/11 1445 hours

Hi, Just ran across the site. My Dad ( Chief Aviation Machinist Mate Roy B. Spivey ) was stationed there until sometime in 1948. I was 2 at the time and remember seeing old 8mm films of me running around those dusty streets. He also took lot of slides as I remember seeing some of gun emplacements. He probably would have retired from the Navy, but contracted TB while there and was sent home to spend the next two years in a VA hospital. Don't know if those old slides and 8mm films are still around or not. I was thinking the films may have been transferred to VHS at some point. He died on Veterans Day in 1988, so would have to check with my mother to see what if anything is still around. I had planned on following my Dad into the Navy, but when I graduated from High School, I decided to join the Coast Guard, besides Vietnam was getting hot after the Gulf of Tonkin incident in '64. As it turned out, I did a tour in Vietnam anyway. My two brothers did follow my Dad into the Navy and both were Aviation Machinist Mates ( Jet ). It was good to browse this site, although I have no personal memories of the place.

Charlie Spivey ~ caspivey@msn.com

POSTED: 03/17/11 1730 hours

I was at Port Lyautey for about six months starting about the end of 1951 into 1952. I was then transferred to Hendon in London. While in P.L. I worked in Air Cargo. Some good stories there.

Bob Dreyer

POSTED: 03/17/11 1545 hours

I was stationed at USNTC-Kenitra with family in 1970-71. In retrospect, it was all too brief an experience; however, fate and the Naval Command had other plans.

The Port Lyautey web site is much appreciate by all that have visited the site and even more so by those that were stationed in Morocco. Personally, the brief time in Morocco was an incredible and life changing educational experience. Despite living in what might be considered (by today's standards) near primitive conditions, there was an Esprit de corps existing among the military personnel and family members that created positive and lasting memories. In reading the many postings by others, it is apparent that we all feel a mutual bonding although we may have served at different times. I feel enriched by the experience with my fellow countrymen; similarly, the richness of the Moroccan culture and of the warmth of the Moroccan people has had a lasting and positive effect on my world views, particular those of non-American cultures.

I would like contact information on James Lauerman, CPO, Supply Corp, also stationed at Kenitra 1970-74(?) should anyone be aware of his where-abouts.

Best regards,

James Tarpley, CDR, USNR-MC, Retired.
Peachtree City, GA

POSTED: 03/09/11 0730 hours

I was thrilled to come upon this webpage! My father, Vincent "Roy" Willever, was stationed in Port Lyautey from 1955 through 1959. He was a Dental Technician at the base Dental Clinic. I was only 5 when we were transferred to Morocco, but it was an adventure I will never forget. We lived in town when we first arrived; there were other military families in the apartment complex.

Our time in this country covered many varied things, from the bombing of the French homes across the street when we lived in town, the Arab doorman who stood outside with his large knife, the visiting Women's Fast-pitch Softball team; living in the Quonset hut on base and going to the base school. I have many pictures and film of our stay there and have shown it to my children and grandchildren. My youngest sister was born on the base there.

It was a troubled time and our return stateside was not an easy one. We had to fly to Cadiz, Spain and stay there until a steam liner could transport us back to the States.

Thank you for this website.

Peggy Johnson, Tifton, GA, mjx2624@att.net ~ pjohnson@moultrietech.edu

POSTED: 03/08/11 1000 hours

Hello all,

My dad was stationed in Morocco from April of 1976 and helped close the base in 1978. He was the Master Chief of the Command, Bill Harden. It was the best experience of my life. I met the most wonderful people while there. I met my husband, Chuck Byrd and we got married in 79 in Jacksonville Florida. My dad retired with 30 years in the navy in 1982. Unfortunately he passed away December 25, 2008 of lung cancer, just couldn't put those cigs down. Chuck retired as a Senior Chief in 1998 with 24 years in and now works for a government contractor that does interactive courseware for each division of the military. We have two awesome kids, our son Chuck II is 30 this year and our daughter Lori turns 28 this year. Life has been good to us.

Would love to hear from anyone from that time, and I have been looking for a good friend of mine and her family, Frances Demain and the Demain family. If anyone knows a way of contacting her, please give her my email address byrdranch@comcast.net, would love to hear from some of our old friends. I hope this email finds everyone healthy and happy.

Take Care

Harriet L. Byrd

POSTED: 02/22/11 2240 hours

Served 75-77 with CE's Pat Weil and Roman Trazenski in the phone shop. I was the tech on site at Bok for that period, though I did work all of the three sites. I LOVED Morocco, the climate, people and food. only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. I got to go back briefly during a med cruse with my ship, great 3 days in Tangers.

Chris Snyder IC2, Dr.dongle1@juno.com

POSTED: 02/22/11 1025 hours

Great site you have here, I am Stu Kanofsky USMC 1963 - 1972, and served in Sidi Yahia from 1964 - 1967 at Marine Barracks and was the interpreter at the front gate and dealt with the local police and mayor whenever a Marine or Sailor had a problem with us. I am Jewish and married a Jewish girl I met while going to Temple in Kenitria, in 1966. We have been married for 45 years now and have two children.

We now live in Florida for the past 30 years, I am retired and my wife will be retiring in one year, I would like to make contact with anyone who might live in Morocco, as we are talking about moving there.

Again thanks for this site, Stu.. stu@afn.org ~ skanofsky@cox.net

POSTED: 02/17/11 1100 hours

Hi Lou, It has been a long time since I was on line with you. I finally connected with Crew members after 57 years. One member from VR 24, Chuck Dunning posted a note and I contacted him. I didn't know Chuck but we knew many of the the crew members. Also I contacted John Peck, HM1 from VP.26. John worked out of the Medical Office Transferring Patients back via military to USA ..I did the same job when not flying as flight Corpsman for VR 24. It was good to hear from someone from Port Lyautey. Hope you are well in Norton Ma. Things are good here in Mattapoisett Ma. Talk to you
later. Thanks for the good work. Jim Touhey, Former HM2 AC USN


POSTED: 02/11/11 2000 hours

Hi Lou

Some memories of my youth- - - My dad was stationed on the base from 1948-1951 (when we left to transfer to Naples). We lived in town and as a 6-8 year old kid I remember going to the market
with my mom and Fatima fairly frequently to get groceries & meat.

I remember playing in the hills behind our home with a fellow named Fred Glazer whose family was also stationed @ the base. I have lots of wonderful memories of living there; learning to speak French
and Arabic; going with Fatima into the medina; riding my bike all around; going to the beach. Because my family was African American, I could wonder all over the place and I fit is as though I was a native.

Seems as if I remember a prison built into the hillside beside the road going from the base into town. I remember a day when a French seaplane was in trouble and barely made it across the roof of our house and cleared the hill behind it before crashing. There were dishes and all kinds of stuff strewn around the crash site. Seems like the crash site sat for quite a while, fenced off beside the road to the
base. For me this was a fun place and provided me with quite a different perspective on the world as I grew up.

I hope one day to reconnect with Fred or members of the Glazer family who were living down the street from us in town during this same period.

Thanks for keeping this website up.

Howard Piggee Jr. howardp7@verizon.net

POSTED: 02/11/11 2000 hours

My name is David C. Linn. I served in the Marine Corp from 1/1959-Feb. 1963 and served at Port Lyautey from around mid- 1959 to the end of 1960.


POSTED: 02/04/11 1530 hours

Hi - my name is Steve Bach - my Dad was Dr. Sven Bach of the U.S. Army and we stayed a couple of days in Port Lyautey on our way back from Naples, Italy, I think is about 1956, wow. Our Tristar Constellation had engine trouble and had to stop in Port Lyautey for repairs. Dad was stationed in Naples with NATO doing medical-related work for the Army.

I bought a Marklin train set in the Port Lyautey Navy store, see label on the attached train set box! I had forgotten exactly where I had bought this train after all these years, so I was amazed to see that
label! I took the attached photographs of the train, which I still have! I was about 9 years old, roughly.

Steve Bach ~ stevbach@comcast.net
Atlanta, Ga


POSTED: 01/26/11 0800 hours

Hi Lou,

FIrst of all, thank you for creating this site and bringing people together to share their memories of Morocco. It is so nice to read people's experiences, friendships, memories, and what they do to rekindle those memories.

I found out my biological father was in the US Navy in Kenitra, Morocco around 1970-1974. I was born in Kenitra in May 1973. I would greatly appreciate if anyone knew or can provide any kind of information that may help me locate him. From what my aunt said, he sounds like he would want to know about me but it has been so long that I don't know what he would think. I've been searching with the little information she was able to give me. She also met an old friend who knew him back in late 90's that said he moved to Florida.

All I know is he may be of mixed decent of the Philippines, is tall, and his name is "Orly" or "Orley" and most importantly, I look like him. Not sure if this was his first or last name-- I know that in the military, people address each other by their last names or nicknames. He did have a best friend named Bobby De Leon who was also stationed there and now may live in Seattle, WA. Someone out there knows him and can lead me to the right direction..

Thank you all--
May ~ may.celestine@gmail.com

POSTED: 01/15/11 1950 hours


A sad note to report, Clifton Speed, a contrubuter to your site with some photos from the 50's in Morocco has died. Shortly after his origional posting, I had contacted him, and have been in touch with him ever since. Although we were stationed in Morocco about 20 years apart, we had many similar photos and stories. I will miss his e-mails and his memories.

Keep up the excellant work you do on your site!! It is appreciated.

Pat Weil
Adel, Iowa
Kenitra 73-78, kia-ora@att.net
CE1 Retired


SPEED, CLIFTON M. Clifton M. Speed, Jr., age 80, of Trussville, AL passed away on January 9, 2011. Originally from Wesson, MS he joined the Navy and later moved to Alabama in the late 1950's. He was preceded in death by his wife, Eunelle Maddox Speed and is survived by his son, Roger Speed; daughter, Sonya (Rick) Miller. His grandchildren are Laura (Tim) Thompson, Jena Miller and Angela (Robert) Stewart. Great-grandchildren are Erin and Ryan Thompson and Brooke, Zachary, and Ty Stewart. He also leaves several nephews and a niece.

POSTED: 01/13/11 0900 hours

Dear Mr demas,

First i want to introduce myself to you, i am Hicham Kruma, 34 years old, married and have 5 beautifull kids. i'm born and raised in the Netherlands but my parents are born and raised in Kenitra. To be exactly, my father was born in Mehdia (l,kasbah) and my mother in the village accros the River sebou between the old navy us port nearby mehdia. Since i was a little child my parent always spend their holidays in mehdia and i was very lucky to see the place where my parents roots are. I have this obbession about this place cause for me its the most beautifull place in morocco. I always surf the internet to find some info about mehdia, kentira, l,kasbah. When i surfed the internet i met youre beatifull site about kenitra in the old days en i was astonished to see the beautifull pictures. This was kenitra in a different time and i never had a clue how beautifull it was. Kenitra these days is modern and very crowded. It even have a mac donald and pizza hut L.O.L.

With this email i want to let you know that i,m very gratefull for the beautifull pictures and info about my roots in kenitra/mehdia. Is there a possibility that you have any pictures of the village l,kasbah near mehdia. I would be very grateful for his.

Keep the good work.

Yours sincerely,

Hicham Kruma

Email: hichamkruma@hotmail.com

Amsterdam, the Netherlands

POSTED: 01/13/11 0900 hours

Lou, my Dad and I joined the base Archery Club. It had around a dozen active members. We met every Saturday for an across the course match. Often, afternoons during the week, there would be several servicemen practicing. I have lots of happy memories of the club and the course. This photo is from the back of a jacket my Dad used to wear. The big patch is about ten inches in diameter. Best wishes, Bryce Sutton Mainside 1967, Maxxrange@aol.com

POSTED: 01/09/11 0920 hours

Hi-I was stationed at USNRST Bouknadel from Jan '70-Jan '72. LPO of Power Plant. Worked under CWO-4 Gerry Lear and ENC Singer. C/O was LtCdr Morrison.

M.L. Cooper ~ hughes@hughesfambiz.com

POSTED: 01/07/11 0845 hours

To Dad's dear friends,

I am so sorry to inform you that my Dad,Vincent Butkevis passed away the evening of Thursday Dec. 30th. He had been battling the effects of congestive heart failure for several years but took a turn for the worst this summer and finally succumbed to the disease last week. I spent a lot of time with Dad in his last few months and he couldn't say enough great things about the many friends he felt honored to have known. All that I can say is he loved every one of you.. May God bless Dad and all of you who made his life so special....

Vincent W. Butkevits III

Web-Editor's Note: When I first placed the Port Lyautey website on-line, Vincent Butkevis,former RM3, USN, was the one of the first resondents to the Guestlog and a contributor to the website by sending me photographs of the base as it was in the early 1950', May his Memory be Eternal!

POSTED: 01/02/11 0600 hours

Hello Lou and thanks for the web site.

My name is Bill Brown, Marine Corporal and I was stationed Bouknadel 1962 – 1963. It was a Great Duty Station, but did not realize it at the time. Would love to go back. Does anyone know if it is safe?
I lived in the Armory with the Dog Trainer, Bob Maynard from West“by God” Virginia. Bob are you out there? I worked for Gunny Paul M. Hatfield. I think the Gunny has passed. – Corporal English from Starr Utah, Not real sure about the name, but you took my Marine Corps Ike jacket and never returned it, I still want it back! - Our Interpreter, forgot name, he was from Canada. – I remember Mama’s Bar – Navy Fleet Club – Bouknadel Beach – The Continental Hotel/Restaurant, Kenitra, the liberty bus picked us up there - President Kennedy’s Assassination, I was in town on liberty, at Mama’s when word was spread to report back to base – Marine Corps Birthday at the Embassy Rabat. -Running into Cindy Lewis (Bloomington) at the Navy Exchange, I had went to school with her, and found it strange to see her in Morocco.- The orders regarding the closing of all bases. – An incident regarding a young Marine breaking into the Commanding Officer of the Marines house. – Front Gate being attacked – Terrorist trying to blow up the ammo dump. – Softball games – trips to Gibraltar - dating a chiefs daughter – the Square Dance Club. If this brings back anyone's memories and would like to share, I can be contacted at wabrown1130@aol.com.

POSTED: 01/03/11 0800 hours


My name is Hafida and i use to live in Kénitra. I went to the French nuns school called ècole de la sainte famille. It is always nice memories when I think of Kénitra in the old days!!. I remember the American radio !! great music!!! I remember my father (He worked as a police officer for the moroccoan drug squad) and sometime in cooperation with the American army.Which it allowed him to enter the base. I remember him bringing us hersheys chocolate and marsh mallows!!! And of course for him some cans of Budweiser beer!!!!

With one of the nuns of my school I went once to a mass in the base , I remember the father at that time his name was Brennen I think

Thank you for the site and happy new year to all the kenitreens of that period

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Hafida Boujtita ~ Hafida.Boujtita@medical-marketing-berlin.com

POSTED: 01/03/11 0800 hours

My name is Mike Andrews. I served as corpsman from May '71 to May 72 in the delivery room and men's ward at the base hospital. First post was 3/3/07. I played on the base all-star flag football team which got killed by the marines and the CTs from Sidi around Thanksgiving. I also played on the base basketball team, which was very good for a base of 1000. We played in a Rota tournament and advanced to larger tounament on the Air Force base in Madrid. It was a nice 3 weeks off base expierence. We only had 8 players, but 3 were very good. Can not remember anyone's last name now. Had to miss out on fast pitch softball because of being transferred to Alaska. Still searching for old shipmates. This is a great website visit. Thank-you Lou for all your work. Mader321@aol.com

POSTED: 01/03/11 0800 hours

From: <Jerdadzim@cs.com>
To: <loudemas@naisp.net>
Subject: A "historical" USN Activity Port Lyautey confermation date from Jerry Zimmerman
Date: Sunday, January 02, 2011 11:08 PM

Hi Lou...Happy New year one more time!

My son Tom had Dolores and my Navy letters printed in book form for Christmas presents for family. It was easy for me to get "hooked" into some rereading. I found something that I want to pass on to you. You may have the exact timing of the change of the Base name from NAS Port Lyautey to USN Activity Port Lyautey and this will be old news...and maybe not. To be certain, the following WILL confirm that the change came on January 1st 1948, the day the USA gave the command of the Base back to the French. Check the "blue" hi-lited section.

JANUARY 20th, TUESDAY--- "U.S. NAVAL AIR ACTIVITY PORT LYAUTEY ...French Morocco letter head and is the "Plan Of The Day".

PLAN OF THE DAY-DAILY ROUTINE Wednesday 21 January 1948
O.O.D. -LT. STILES (Officer of the Day)
0545 -Reveille
0630 -Muster all PAL's and enlisted men. (Prisoners At Large)
0645-0800 -Breakfast
0745 Liberty Expires on board.
0800 -Colors
-Quarters for muster.
-Turn to.
0830 -Sick Call.
1100 -Inspection of all cooks, mess cooks and steward's mates.
1130 -Early Chow
1145-1300 -Dinner.
1200 -Knock off routine work.
1300 -Turn to.
1600 -Knock off routine work.
-Liberty commences for STBD watch to expire on board
at 0745, Thursday, 22 January 1948. (STBD=Starboard)
-All hands shift into the uniform of the day.
1615 -Early chow.
1630-1730 -Supper.
1730 -Muster all PAL's and restricted men.
1800 -Movie in the Movie Hut.
2130 -Muster all PAL's and restricted men.
2200 -Taps. Lights out in all living compartments.
Notes: 1. Movie for tonight: STEPCHILD with Brenda Joyce and Terry Austin.
2. The Oasis will be secured today for the purpose of moving to the North
wing of the enlisted men's mess hall. Opening date will be announced at a
later date.
3. The commissary store will be closed for inventory at 1500 today, until
Monday at 1000, 26 January 1948.
4. The Supply Department has contributed $19 to the March of Dimes. This is
a good start. Other departments are urged to push their campaign of
voluntary contributions.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Lieutenant, USN,
Personal Officer.
A few observations of this "notice of the day". One is that the name of the Base has had a slight change, but significant because the Base had been technically returned to the French. It is no longer called a U.S.Naval Air Station but a "U.S.Naval Air Activity". What the difference is between the two I do not really know, although I imagine that it had a less threatening sound to the French, and possibly to the Soviet Union. It was an indication of the U.S. reduced authority in Morocco.
Note that we did have reveille and taps, which was played or "piped" over the P.A. system in the French Barracks, and I can not remember how it was handled when we went to the Quonset Huts. I do not recall a P.A. system there, it may have been an oral call by who ever was on watch a that time. I spent most of my time in the Lab from the time we moved out of the French Barracks after the first of the year, and I do not have lot of memory of the "finer points" of the Quonset quarters.
Note that meals were indeed called "chow", that to stop something WAS "knock it off", lunch was "dinner", and the evening meal "supper". Everybody was "all hands", and when you were to start, or to get busy you were to "turn to". The "Plan of the Day" was a daily posting and you came to rely on it because it was the Gospel. "Muster" was "roll call", and "Sick Call" was at 0800, the time that you could go to the Hospital Clinic with any health problem
or complaint.