Click Here For The 2002 Guestlog Click Here For The 2003 Guestlog
Click Here For The 2004 Guestlog Click Here For The 2005 Guestlog
Click Here For The 2006 Guestlog Click Here For The 2007 Guestlog

POSTED: 12/27/08 1445 hours

Enjoyed the web site with my mother. The photos were very nice. My Dad set up and was OIC of the Navy Ordnance Facility. He was a mustang submariner, so I never figured out what he was doing at a Naval air facility. It was during the period when we "didn't have" a station there. I started school there in 1949. I remember when my friends lost their fathers. We have a lot of photos from that period 49-51 that at some point I'd be glad to scan and send to you if you want them.

Jack Svahn ~ jacksvahn@aol.com

POSTED: 12/22/08 1030 hours

Great site Lou, brings back beaucoup memories. Was wondering if anyone knows what happened to two particular places that I found fascinating. One was called White City, the other Happy Valley. These were both located near Meknes. I married a French Colonial's daughter in 1956, their place was called Domaine De Beauregard which was about twenty clicks from Meknes. Her father took me to see White City, a walled enclosure which was filled with female prisoners. This he gave me to understand was maintained by the French Legionnaires as their personal bordello. The other site was a terraced canyon called Happy Valley which was created by a Frenchman named Pagnon from Casablanca. This individual had a dream in which he was shown the garden of Eden and was told to build it. I have black and white photos of him and his creation but can find no mention of either Happy Valley or White City when I make an Internet search. There was a log book maintained at the entrance of Happy Valley which had been signed by both Winston Churchill and Dwight D. Eisenhower in which one or the other had written that this was one of the wonders of the world. It cost twenty five francs to visit which was contributed to the Arab blue cross.

Thanks for the memories.
Charles Wilson ~ wilwebtangier@aol.com

POSTED: 12/19/08 1115 hours

I was stationed at sidi bouknadel from 1957 to 1960. best duty I had
allen burkhart ~ bigbaddogz@sbcglobal.net

POSTED: 12/19/08 1115 hours

My name is James HELLER ABHC retired and I was the Crash crew cheif from 07/72 to o7/75. My e-mail address is HELLER531 @aol.com. I live in Dillsburg,Pa 17019.

POSTED: 12/12/08 2040 hours


My family was stationed there from '58 to '61. I was in 4 & 5th grade at the school on the base. My dad was ADR1 Fred J Grulkey and I he flew air crew with one of the VP squadrons, I think VP 23. I remember that fast pitch softball was his sport and he was quite a third baseman. My mother Lillian (Mike) Grulkey taught 1st grade at the elemetary school.

The reason I am writing is I just purchased a 1959 Beech 18 (E18S) and would like to paint it as authentically as possible to the Beech 18s that were on the field at that time as a tribute to my parents. If you might have a photo of the NAFs Beech's I would appreciate it. It seemed to me that the squadrons each had a Beech 18 (perhaps a Cessna "Bamboo Bomber") as they would have been the corporate aircraft of the day. I know the Air Station had 2 or 3.

As a wide eyed child of 8, I remember touching down at Port Lyautey in an R4-D (DC-3) from Rota, Spain after we had taken the ship from New York. My first flight! After the flight we went into the terminal for a "Wing Ding" milk shake. LOL. I suppose that stuck with me as I am a commercial, multi-engine pilot with over 13,000 hours. I got my DC-3 SIC license in October -- and still love a milk shake after a hop from time to time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wolf Grulkey

(ADJ-2, USN 1967-1971, VA-42, VA-34, USS JFK CV 67)

POSTED: 12/03/08 1340 hours


This is by far 'the best' past duty station website. Great job Lou! Since I made my first post on the site a couple of years ago I have made contact with a number of people who were stationed in Morocco during or around the time I was there. I was there from Jan 76 thru Jul 78. It is aways great to hear from an old past shipmate so I like to keep my email current mlw.usn@sbcglobal.com on the site.

I had the good fortune of working at both Sidi and Kenitra. I worked out at the Receiver Site from Jan 76-Jun 77. I then transferred to Kenitra in 77 to operate a one-man-single channel TTY circuit set up to handle the final base closure business. The base closed in Sep 78, I left just before that in Jul 78. It was quite a change moving from the Receiver Site at Sidi with it's wide open spaces and unbelievable freedom to a one man TTY operation housed in the old American Express (I think) bank vault located in the main admin building there at NTC Kenitra. I hated the job, but it gave me one more full year in Morocco. I loved Morocco and didn't want to leave.

At the tender age of 20 I definitely grew up fast in Morocco. It was an endless party, interupted only by the occassional need to go to work. I hated that! I had my own place out in town in Kenitra (great place). The 2nd floor apartment was a package deal. It came with rent, electricity, water, trash collection, a maid, and a Moroccan wife - what a deal! That was my first wife, I'm now on number 3.

Of all the places and opportunities my 20 plus years in the Navy brought me, Morocco was without a doubt the absolute best. For some strange reason I think about Morocco everytime it's my turn to make the eggs-over-easy, as I was this morning. Eggs at the galley in Sidi, the best, and usually the only solid substance in my body for who knows how long.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all of you.

Marcus Wilbanks

POSTED: 11/30/08 2030 hours

I was stationed at the Marine Barracks from April 57 to April 59 . Am looking for photos of the Barracks area.

Fred Kuhn, fredmar_us@yahoo.com

POSTED: 11/30/08 2030 hours


Thanks for your website great job. My name is Jim Gilbeau. My Dad was stationed in Sidi Yahia starting 1969. His name is Gary Gilbeau. I recall most everything from the time we arrived. That date was July 20, 1969 when we landed in Rabat. It was the exact time we landed on the moon. I remember the morroccains laughing at me being so excited as we watch it on tv at the airport, they thought it phoney. That was the last time I seen a tv for about 3 years. I was a boy scout there and had some wild trips,some good some bad. I had the run of the base and had quite an adventure. I would be happy to talk to or answer questions from my time there or give you info from my dad. I do recall some of the names from others on the website.

Also I guess it was a big deal that our family car was a 1964 Impala SS. Feel free to contact me and thanks for your interest, Jim Gilbeau. jim.tre@earthlink.net.

POSTED: 11/24/08 2200 hours

Hi to all that served in Morocco. My dad was stationed there from 70-72 . If anyone has photos of that period that they are willing to share it would be great. He was working as RM2 in the USNRS (T) Sidi Bouknadel. We lost most of our pictures in a home fire in 1985. I am ending my career here in Jacksonville Feb 2010 and would like to have some pictures to place in my shadowbox!
HTC(SW) John Goerges Jr.

E-mail: goerjmad@yahoo.com

POSTED: 11/24/08 0900 hours

Hi, my name is Thomas E. Williams. I recently moved into a new home and found many "old" photos of my grandfather Thomas E. Williams who was stationed there at some point?? I have no other info. Would love to hear from anyone who may have served with him. though I'm sure that list is getting shorter. Thanks thomas.williams2@comcast.net

POSTED: 11/21/08 0838 hours

Hi Lou

I'm Ron Johnson AC 1 Retired. Spent my last 2 yrs.at the base GCA (Grounnd Control approach) from April '68 through April '70. I really enjoyed the time there, it was also an educational. experiance. Got along great with the Moroccan population. My retirement ceramony was there before they sent me home by way of an Italian Cruise liner named th Rafaello (spelling?) Nice way to go back. Every once in a while I kind of miss the salmon snagging xxxxx and Catching Dolly Varden trout (good fighter) and tried my first skiing which was my last. Thought I broke most of my bones but it only felt that way. Ended my 22 Years at Brooklyn Navy Yard 1 May 1970.

Oh Well Thats It
Ron Johnson
Powell, Ohio


POSTED: 11/21/08 0835 hours

I just found your site while looking up some information on Port Lyautey. I was stationed there right out of boot camp.( Bainbridge Md.1956 What a cold winter that was). I was there for almost 18 months assigned to the Sea Bees, and working out of the motor pool. I spent a lot of time working at the power house. I still have my orders, My Navy drivers license, and a Thanksgiving dinner menu from the mess hall. Ah 1956 was a good year for a kid from Philly. I have a lot of fond memories, such as driving a dump truck to Casablanca for salt for our water softener. It meant staying over night on the Navy's dime. And does anyone remember th Worlds Fair in 56?

Joe Kuhar

PS. I would like to hear from anyone that was stationed there.
Email kukunst@aol.com

POSTED: 11/14/08 2110 hours

Dear Lou,

I have enjoyed your website and come back to it frequently. There is always something new and different on it. You might be interested in furnishing a link to www.acoldwarstory.com which describes a newly published book by Jim Conkey, a young officer at the Naval Ordnance Facility, Port Lyautey Naval Air Station in 1958 and 1959. While written in a fictional style, many of the events and characters portrayed in the book were inspired by actual happenings and people Jim knew during his stay in Morocco.

My experience there was as a doctor (LT MC/USNR) in the Station Hospital from February 1959 to January 1961. It was an unforgettable time!

Best regards,
Arthur Franklin White, M. D.
Louisville, KY

POSTED: 10/22/08 2110 hours


My name is Don Tschida (CECN, power plant, public works electric shop) May76 – Oct77. Very much enjoyed the site and will try to write more later but wanted to thank Pat for the reminder. Kenitra and that great duty station will be on my mind tomorrow!

Thanks Lou, for the great site!


e-mail: cheetah5@centurytel.net

POSTED: 10/21/08 2200 hours

Recently we had the pleasure of visiting with shipmates from our time spent in Port Lyautey at the Fleet Weather Central from 1954 through August 1956. Due to the diligence of Larry Bell and Sheldon Rosenthal the group has been able to reconnect with a number of the Aerographer's Mates and Telemen and Yeomen who served together during the mid-50's.

On Wednesday, October 15th, Sheldon Rosenthal, wife Barbara, Larry Bell, wife Pat, Ray Boylan, wife Gail met at O.C. White's Restaurant at the foot of the Bridge of Lions in St. Augustine, Florida for a reunion dinner. It was an outdoor affair with a marvelous starlit night and pleasant service.

The years, obviously have left their mark on each of us but we were kids again, if just for a night. We do have a list of other shipmates and contact addresses but need more still. We'd love to have, if not a formal reunion, at least a gathering of interested fellows and ladies to renew old acquaintances and tell sea-stories from yester-year. For contact e-mail Ray Boylan at gateray@aol.com, srosen1673@aol.com or Larry Bell, flxco@aol.com

Be well....Ray Boylan

POSTED: 10/21/08 1120 hours

I enjoyed reading all of the comments. This website brought back many memories as PortLyautey was a good duty station for me. I was there on my last tour in the Marines between 1962 to1964. Former L/cpl Andrew Mcneely.

e-mail: ajmac592001@yahoo.com

POSTED: 10/15/08 0920 hours

CTI2 Joseph Penn (JP). I was too late for Morocco when I served, but I was a dependant at Sidi Yahia back in the early ‘70’s. Nothing but fond memories. My Pops was HM1 Delbert M. Penn, Sr. for anyone that was there.

e-mail: joseph.penn@bankofamerica.com

POSTED: 10/08/08 2205 hours

Wow! Does this bring back some soulful memories? I was a young seaman (19) and stationed there from feb 71 – summer (?) of 72. Had a 15 or 18 month tour, can’t remember. Been tooooo long. Have messed around gotten old. I remember faces and characters but only two names. One of my friends wanted to get out and open a grocery store chain and call it Big O’s (last name Owen). Can’t remember his first name. Another was from West Virginia, or was it Virginia? Another was from Manson Ohio. I remember my division officer; can see his face, but no name. He would remember me from a fight with a marine. Ha! Kids! Had a good friend that was a marine from Little Rock, Arkansas, do rem his name, Curtis Mitchell. Sure would like to see him. He was a good man. I remember an old (to me at the time) RM1 that had to get congressional approval to stay in. Wow! This site tugs at my heart. I loved that place. I had so much fun there. Traveled all over morocco and the small Spanish area up north. My goodness, this brings back some of the best memories of my life. I got my first and only Dear John letter there. The Moroccan ladies cured me and gave me a gift or two in return! Ha! My God, how time flies and only leaves you with bitter sweet memories. I got to know several of the ct’s there. Had a Moroccan friend who always kept me with a lady. I went places in morocco with him that no westerner had been. Learned the lingo and when we went out I wore the local attire and had no trouble fitting rite in with the community. His name was Taby Bonief. He was a cabin boy in my barracks. I’m retired now, and I can only think of one other duty station I enjoyed as much (Key West). My my my….what a trip down memory lane. If any of my old shipmates there want to talk w/me, I would love to chat…..Larry Covington. EMAIL: larry.covington@badger.k12.ar.us.

POSTED:10/08/08 0930 hours

To the best of my knowledge, my father was stationed at Port-Lyautey during WW2 and I am just trying to find out some info about what he might have did while there. He went into the Navy Sea Bees shortly after Pearl Harbor and was sent to the New Jersey area and worked there before going overseas. He was "older" (29-30) when he went in and already knew how to weld so he ended up being an instructor teaching others how to weld. He returned home sometime around December 1945. He NEVER talked much at all about any of his experiences during the war and even my mother never heard him share much about it all. They are both gone now and I am just a curious son getting older and more curious (and more proud with every tiny bit of info I dig up) and having a huge regret that I didn't "pry" more out of him about it. He was a Machinist Mate, Second Class with CB Maint Unit #566. His full name was Emmitt Lawrence Thompson but I am not sure if he went by Emmitt or Lawrence while in the service but he went by Lawrence at home. He was from Oklahoma and went back home there to spend the rest of his life. Any info that anyone has about that unit and what things they might have done while there, I would be honored to hear. My email address is johnnyrt@yahoo.com. Thank you for the great web site and thank you so much for allowing me to post here.

POSTED: 09/29/08 0930 hours


Been a while since I've posted anything, but I do check your great site often. The reason for this entry, is to remind everyone that on 30 September 1978,
that the US Naval base at Kenitra was turned over to the Royal Moroccan Air Force. 30 years ago. a bittersweet anniversary.

Being one of "the last four" that left Morocco on 03 October 1978, were myself then CE2 Pat Weil, then UT2 Robert (Andy) Anderson, then EM1 Steve Kiser,
and then CEC Roman Trzcinski. Of course the legal officer Lt. William (Rivers) Black and Capt. William Parrish had to go to Rabat to dot all the i's and cross all the t's on the final paperwork, so they may have been there a bit longer. The 4 of us drove out of Morocco through Ceuta, to Rota, Spain. Both UT2 Anderson and CEC Trzcinski were being stationed in Rota, EM1 Kiser I think went to Diego Garcia, and myself, I went to CBU 410 in Jacksonville, Fla.

I lost touch with Anderson in 1980, last seen him in Philadelphia on my way to Scotland. EM1 Steve Kiser, ended up a EMCS, but was one of the ones killed on the USS Stark on 17 May 1987. Trzcinski ended up retired as a CECS, but passed away 17 Sept 2003, Lt Black left Edzell Scotland 2 weeks before I reported aboard ( but he did do me a "favor", he informed everyone I was coming and what to expect, at least I thought that was a favor!), then I lost touch with him. Capt Parrish was retired in Florida last I knew. There were a lot others there the 'last days of Kenitra', with several having posts on your site here.I had the opportunity to return to Kenitra in November 1979, and ADJ Kemouch and SSGT Loutid from the RMAF, ran me around the base with freedom to go anywhere I wanted. I ran into several of the civilians that were retained on base, and every one of them wished the US Navy was still there, that and almost everyone out in town wished the same. I think if we went back today, we would be both saddened and amazed. Sad because it is not "as it was" but amazed at all the growth and prosperity there.

As for my story, I arrived in Morocco in April 1973, stationed at Sidi Yahia for a few weeks, then TAD to Kenitra. I guess you could say I liked it there, as
I ended up staying there for 5 1/2 years on that 15 month tour! I got there a skinny 18 year old kid from Iowa, did all my growing up there. lived at Mehdia Beach, had a jeep, made too many friends to count, both Moroccan and fellow sailors/Marines, and am in still in touch with probably 25 or so on a regular basis. I continue to try to locate others that were also stationed at the best Navy base ever, even though a lot of people didn't realize that until after they transferred out. I ended up retiring in Aug 92, after spending a total of 13 1/2 years overseas, I only wished it could have been all 20!

For others trying to re-connect or locate old shipmate, here's a couple places to check. www.lonesailor.org, or www.togetherwesserved.com and as a last resort, search www.cem.va.gov

To all who have been stationed in Morocco, we are all brothers, we had the opportunity to not only serve our country, but to do it in a fantastic and beautiful place. Take a few minutes this Tuesday, 30 Sept 2008, and remember them great times. And Lou, keep doing what you do so well, Your site has really taken off since you started it, and I have sent many of my friends your way. If I remember correctly, I was among the first handful to post on your site, and now years later, thank you again for it.

Pat Weil
Adel, Iowa

POSTED: 09/29/08 0930 hours

I was stationed there from 68-69, a yeoman working for a LT commander IN BASE SECURITY. Brings back some fond memories.

Charlie Fisher
Long Island,NY ~ e-mail:princety1@aol.com

POSTED: 09/14/08 1850 hours

Hi Lou,

I was stationed at Sidi Yahia for three months in 1959 then transferred to Karamursel, Turkey. I sailed from Brooklyn to Gibraltar then flew to Port Lyoutey.On the ship with me was Gary Kirkey (CT2) who has since recently retired from NSA and Doyle Leyroy Mobley, who was stationed with me on Adak before Morocco. He retired as a Chief.

After I retired as a high school special ed teacher, My wife and I (after reading the novel Annapolis) stayed at a bed and breakfast in Annapolis. (It was our first B&D) Our host graduated from the Academy with Jimmy Carter. As we talked, we learned that he was a Naval Officer stationed in Morocco the same time as I was there. He was at Port Lyoutey but made trips to Sidi Yahia.

While I don't miss the 120 degree temps, I enjoyed the experience. I remember the chow not being very good, although the once a week charcoal cooked steaks were great. It was nice wearing whites with only a t-shirt. Also remember driving guard mail from operations to the main base through the scrub land during combat alerts (Algerian rebels trying to get our munitions). The dogs and Marines kept them away.

After I left, I flew by way of Naples (week) to Izmir then Istanbul. We had a great Navy basketball team. Our captain, Ron Robinson, was able to contact just about our entire team, through Joe Glockner's great site. A few years ago, I was in LA for training for a part-time job I do testing in schools.While there, I was able to meet with Al Glatt, who was the other guard with me on our team. It was as if we had just seen each other rather then not since 1959.


Don Hayes (joined reserves as an instructor after I was discharged from reg Navy and made CT1) ~ gammagampa@seadaddy.net

POSTED: 09/13/08 1203 hours

Reserve squadron VP 861 served two tours at Port Lyautey in 1951 and 1952. The squadron was decommissioned in 1953 and renamed VP 18. I, Sylvester
Luciano, served with the in 1952 as an AT3. E-mail sllbll3035@verizon.net

POSTED: 09/10/08 0820 hours

Please note my change of address :
Veillez noter mon changement d"adresse :

56 Derb Snane
40000 Marrakech (Médina)
Maroc - Morocco

Téléphone fixe : +212 (0)24 37 59 68
Portable : +212 (0)77 35 21 53

Thanks - Merci


POSTED: 09/07/08 2130 hours

Hi Lou,

I was station in Port Lyautey from 1951 to 1952 and worked as a legal yeoman. I was there when the new Admin Building was completed and was among the first occupants… I am interested in obtaining a command patch for the Naval Air Station, if such thing exists. I have cruised the web to find same but to no avail. Thanks for your help and/or possibly pointing me in the right direction. Best Regards, Bob Cobb

Dr. Robert M. Cobb, CDR, USN (Ret)

4790 NW 82nd St.

Silverdale, WA 98383-9213

E-mail RCobb1934@wavecable.com

POSTED: 09/04/08 0800 hours

I have not posted in some time and thought that I would at least bring my email address up to date: thmakin@mail.com

I was stationed in Bouk at the XT site from early 68 to late 69. I would have stayed forever, but "the needs of the Navy" prevented that. Just checking in with the new address.

Thanks for the web site!

Tom Makin

POSTED: 09/01/08 1135 hours

For those who may attended or had dependents who attended the Thomas Mack Wilhoite / Kenitra American High School, please try www.tmw-kahs.com for a look at alumni postings, reunions, etc. For those that were stationed there in 1959-1960, go to the Alumni section and school down to between the Class of 1959 and 1960 and hit that special link for some photos mostly of July 4, 1960. That should bring back some memories! Thanks and pass it on...

Doug Campbell (KAHS Class of 1972)~ dcamp@aol.com

POSTED: 09/01/08 1135 hours

I would like to first off thank all the vets out there! My father USMC was stationed at Port Lyautey. Thank you for this site.

K.R. McFerron ~ kmcferron@fuse.net

POSTED: 08/29/08 1900 hours

Hey Lou!!!!

I clicked on to the portlyautey.com page and noticed I was the 77776 visitor! Because my lucky number is 7 I couldn't help but log off and sign on again to become visitor 77777! (;-). I think I will head to the casino tonight!

My recall is that the count was somewhere around 56,000 when you and I first hooked up...which means over 20,000 hits since then...minus my one, extra sign on...(;-) Jerry Zimmerman ~ jeradzim@cs.com


You are Visitor #: 77777

for the trip back to memories past of Port Lyautey



POSTED: 08/26/08 0900 hours

Dear Lou,

Michel Lozares, from Spain.

Perhaps you can help me please?

I´m investigating the accident of a VR-24 R5D-3, BuNo 55-6521, named "Ciudad de Madrid" (tail number 56521 / JM ) that crashed on 1960 in Sierra Nevada mountains, Granada, Spain, when was on a flight Naples-Port Lyautey (or Rota perhaps). At time of accident, the aircraft were based with VR-24 at Naples. All on board survived.

I´m looking for pics of this aircraft please. Surely this R5D was based at Port Lyautey after Naples, so, perhaps we could be in luck to locate any pictures.

Apart of the crew, the passengers belong to a basket or fooball team. These are the names I have. Do you know if they are assigned to Port Lyautey?

Teniente John Shuligk, Cabo Konia Adi, Suboficial R.L. Stepp, Suboficial M.L. Arder, Suboficial J.R. Lawson, Suboficial F.J. Rapp, Sargento S.W. Wilkinson, Soldado 1º N.F. Murdoiu, Soldado 1º J.P. Webb, Soldado 1º J.F. Zaio (Saio???), Teniente Renneger, Teniente Soba, Suboficial Lete, Suboficial Camfseld, Suboficial Hansen, Suboficial Killian, Suboficial Fourner, Suboficial Ronzon.

Thank you very much in advance

Best Wishes

Michel ~ michel2884@yahoo.com

POSTED: 08/26/08 0845 hours

Hi Lou,

Thanks very much for providing the link to my website. I am also seeking an authentic copy/rendition of the Fleet Air Wing 15 patch/insignia for NAS Port Lyautey to include on my website. Would appreciate anyone forwarding that copy to me.

Don Kaiser ~ don.kaiser@gmail.com

WEB-EDITORS NOTE! Don Kaiser is the webmaster of a website devoted to a World War 2 Blimp Squadron, ZP-14 that was stationed at the then Craw Field (NAS Port Lyautey) between 1944 - 45. That website URL is http://www.warwingsart.com/LTA/portlyautey.html

POSTED: 08/20/08 1400 hours

My dad, RMCS Kenneth R. Phillips was stationed in Sidi Yahia in the mid 60's. I was a teenager at the time and remember it as three great years. Just curious to see if anyone remembers dad, mom (Teddy), or my sister (Renate) and I. I can be contacted at phillips53@comcast.net.


POSTED: 08/19/08 0600 hours

I was stationed in Morocco from February 1975 through September 1978. I started as a YNSA at RTF Bouknadel and worked for Commander Brenner. My roommate was a radioman PJ Gough. He and I moved downtown, and later we moved to Medhia Beach with BM1 Dave Lyle and his wife; ET1 Pattison and his wife; Radioman Pete Fox and Jan Litherland, a marine. We had a lot of fun and some great parties. When the phase out began I was moved NCS Sidi Yahia where I worked in admin with YNC MacDonald and CWO2 Vinson. I was loaned to personnel where I learned how to be a personnelman and worked with Barbara Fleitz (now Harrington). My roommate at NCS was Randy Clere. As Sidi Yahia was closing I was transferred to NTC Kenitra to work in the personnel office. I did enlisted transfers and worked with PNC Harden, PN1 Ron Leblanc, Ralph Brown and another guy from Texas. At the enlisted barracks I hung out with Vouk, Keiderling, and Pesci - I think they worked in the power plant (Hey, I was in a fog!). They were crazy HCMB kinda guys. They actually chiseled an "escape hatch" through the cement wall of their barracks room closet to the closet of the room next door. I also remember a crazy Hospital Corpsman named Fred Smith. He had blond hair, and just before he left he tried to have it died red with henna. It was a disaster because his hair turned pink, and that was how he left Morocco! I was a YN2 by the time I was transferred to NTC Kenitra, and I extended my enlistment one month to help close the base. I departed Morocco a civilian - and left all my uniforms hanging in the closet of my barracks room. I've kept in touch with several friends from Morocco, but have not been able to find Pesci. He worked in the power plant (I think) and he lived for a while at Medhia beach, then I think he was in the barracks before he left. If anyone knows of Pesci I would be grateful for a note at: osocal@hotmail.com. I loved my time in Morocco and traveled all over the country with friends. Thanks, and Pesci, if you read this, write!! (ex) YN2 (Howie) Coburn.

POSTED: 08/18/08 0845 hours

I went to high school @ Thomas Mack Wilhoite from 1964-1967 & would like to find out info on what happend to my old friends. My step-father was stationed on Bouknadel & was in the Marine Corps. Anybody from that era?

God Bless, Lloyd Oneil ~ lloydoneil@ymail.com

POSTED: 08/11/08 1135 hours


My father is having a book published and I am looking for a photo of Kenitra prison as it was during 1941-1944. He was imprisoned there during the war by the Vichy French. If you can help or you know of anyone who can help please can you pass my email to them, zobiana@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks
Jacqui Lepoittevin

POSTED: 08/15/08 1135 hours

Hi Lou,

I visit your great site often. The VC squadrons were also deployed to Port Lyautey in the early fifteys. I flew as Radioman in VC-7 on the AJ-1, AJ-2 & the P2V-3c. We were deployed to Port Lyautey in 52 & 53. In Sept of 52 I was on the Coral Sea when we lost our Skipper & his crew. If anyone reads this that was ships company at that time I would like to hear from them. I also returned there in 1959 with the Reserves on a 2 week cruise. I was surprised to read on your site that the base was open to visitors

Ed Legg

POSTED: 08/10/08 1310 hours

I was a SK2 stationed at the Supply Office down from the golf course and across from the French airstrip. Looking for any storekeepers stationed between 1959- 1960. Jack Klein jkln@optonline.net.

POSTED: 08/03/08 1220 hours

Hello all; I am Jack Clifford Jr. I was stationed at FWC from Mar 3, 1963 until it moved to Rota, Spain Sept 5, 1964. I was in the radio gang as a seaman, left Rota sept 28, 1964. Made cyn3 on the USS TUTUILA, and RM2 at the Pentagon. got out in July 1968. Port Lyautey was the very best duty there was.


POSTED: 07/30/08 0735 hours

Had a great time; worked on my golf game. Watch out for the seuratts! Looking for Tom Hamil DJ for the radio station there at that time, Lonnie Finney, Robert Slocum, and Bob Reed.


Would love to hear from anyone who was stationed there during that time. I was attached to the Navy exchange.


P.S. I drove a blue '57 Corvette!

POSTED: 07/13/08 1115 hours


Thanks for this site!!

This is Kevin McCarthy YN3. I was in Morocco January 68 (arriving the day the Pueblo got captured) to January 69.I worked in the Security office. I got married on Gibraltar to Mary (my girlfriend from the States) who came back to base with me. We lived in the Quonset hut right at the end of the row by the movie theatre, and the pool. We had a number of cookouts in the front yard. Anybody on this list remember them? One party was so big that some of the guys "borrowed" one of the half 55 gallon drum/grill for the BBQ!

So many memories!

Great guys like Ron Updyke from NY (who my wife and I still keep in touch with), Dennis Foley from NJ, Olie from Michigan, Gunner, who was in security with me who was from Ticonderoga, NY, Charlie Fischer also in Security from Long Island. He and I worked in the office. Lester, the Airmen in the office who was in charge of getting everyone's car registered in town. Sammy the interpreter and then a guy in his early 20's who also was an interpreter who helped Lester with the red tape. Miller who worked in Security. Slick, who came to Security, once you met him you could never forget him! The Doctor and the Corpmen in the hospital who helped when there was a problem with the birth of my oldest daughter. Commander Malendy was the head of Security at the time. Mrs and Mrs. Goings. She worked in the Security office and he was a Marine on base. Great couple. Dawn and Larry Blankenship from, I think, Tennesse (and if anyone knows them please give me their address). There were two Chiefs in Security but I can only remember one of their names so I'm not saying which one!! Sam Harison from Atlanta. He used to do card and magic tricks, that allowed him to drink for free a lot.

And so many more.

We have pictures from back then. Some of one of the cookouts they used to have at the pool. Others of the base and town. In hindsight it was great duty, but I must admit I wasn't fond of it when I was there. Mary used to keep saying this is great, fresh fruit and vegetables cheap every day, a pool a movie theater, beautiful weather what more could you ask for? And she was right!

If you want to contact me you can at Kmccart2@nycap.rr.com

Kevin McCarthy

POSTED: 07/08/08 0800 hours

Thanks ever so much for this site. FICEUR was the shorthand for Fleet Intelligence Center, Naval Forces Europe. I don't see any entries from any other member of my organization. Morocco was a wonderful experience. We travelled on many weekends, often to the borders of Algeria, Mauritania and Spanish Sahara. I had Many great camping trips in the Bled. I fell in love with the country and most of the people there. Two of us missed the Cuban Missle Crisis entirely because we were away in the desert for close to two weeks when it was all happening. There was no way of contacting us in those days. We only found out about it when we hit Sidi Slimaine Airbase on the way back where we always stopped for some great ice cream.

Several of us from FICEUR went back to Morocco for a reunion in 1996 and it was great. Moroccan tourism has become very sophisticated and diversified. The Moroccan tour company we arranged with was great. They took us everywhere in a nice bus with great Moroccan guides. People looked a lot healthier and many more knew English. One of our members had a daughter who worked for a powerful Congressman. The Moroccan Air Force now controls the base and she
helped arrange for a tour of the base. They rolled out the red carpet and prepared a wonderful feast at the old Officers Club which we hardly expected.

Bob Burke

POSTED: 07/08/08 0800 hours

Hello there,

Please add to your list of squadrons that were based here, "Naval Air Squadrons That Served Tours of Duty at Port Lyautey", VP-5 was based at Port Lyautey from mid-1955 into 1956. We were known as THE MAD FOXES. Our tour was for six months but was extended to 10 or 11 months. We flew P2V-5F's. I was radio and ECM on MC-5.

Mike Merims ~ E-mail:thebulldog@mindspring.com


POSTED: 07/07/08 0400 hours


I just ran across this site a few moments ago, quite by accident. What a great pleasure it is to read all the entries sent in by the others who served at Port Lyautey.
I have my share of stories to tell about my tour there, but not enough time now to get them written, except for the very brief summary that follows.

My tour was 30 months beginning in June, 1960. I sailed out of New York (from the Brooklyn Army Terminal) with my first wife Bonnie (now deceased) bound for Rota, Spain, where we were picked up by the the Station R-4 and flown to Port Lyautey.

I was then a PH2 and my orders were for the Fleet Intelligence Center (FICEUR). I also was TAD to the NAS photo lab. Part of the time I was involved in classified intelligence work, while at other times I worked in my rate as a photographer.

My wife and I had a very nice apartment in Kenitra at 32 Blvd. Iman Ali (formerly Petit Jean during the French era). She and I had the opportunity of taking 30+ days leave, during which we drove to Tangier in our Volkswagen Beetle, took the car ferry to Gibraltar and drove through a good part of Western Europe--on about $500 (U.S.)! Not to put too fine a point on it, but our daughter Andrea is a living souvenir of our stay in Paris. She was born at the station hospital.

I am still in touch with sailors with whom I served at Port Lyautey who were attached to VR-24 and also with a number who were in the photo lab. I left Port Lyautey as a PH1 with orders to the Naval Photographic Center at NAS Anacostia (both of which have long-since been decommissioned--as well as the PH rate which has been disestablished in favor of the MC rate).

In 1964 I competed for a chance to attend Syracuse University in the Navy program of photojournalism. I was selected, completed the year of training and served my last nine years before retirement as a field photojournalist in Vietnam, with the 7th Fleet, as a defacto correspondent for Pacific Stars and Stripes, at the Naval War College and finally with Pacific Fleet Combat Group out of San Diego. I was really more a JO (Journalist) than a PH during those years, but it was at Port Lyautey that I began doing photography intended for publication.

All your other logins bring back many, many fond memories of Morocco and like the Sailors and Marines who wrote them, I wouldn't trade my experiences at Port Lyautey for anything.

Thanks so much for setting up and running this site.

Best regards,
Bill Powers
PHCS (AC), USN (Ret.) ~ E-mail:billpowers01@cox.net

POSTED: 07/02/08 0800 hours

I was an AC2 stationed there from June 1953 to February 1955. My wife Norma and I lived in a house on the 3rd level at Mehdia Plage. When I first arrived there from PAX River Tower, the Control Tower was a small cupola located on top of one of the old WWII German Luftwaffe hangers and we shared it with the French controllers (not a happy time was had by anyone there)! The only access to the tower was a lengthy (and smelly) climb up an iron ladder to the catwalk in the top inside the hanger, then through the men's bathroom to a small opening that you had to climb through to get to the exterior stairs that led up to the control tower cupola! What an experience that was! Shortly thereafter, a new Baseops building was built that had a large, new and modern Control Tower on top. Some of my fellow AC's there included AC3 Dave Hovey and AC2 Charlie Titus. Some of the Flight Officers that I can recall were Lcdr. Gordon Walker, Lt. Jim Sakis (a short version of his long Greek name - Saklariades, I believe), Chief AP "Moose" Camp (who flew the base JD), and a Lt. "Tex" Parsons. There was another officer there whom I did not know then, but met later in Florida, a Cdr. Carl Wilgus. Then, my across the street neighbors were Colin and Norma Winters. He was an RM1 ( I believe that was his rate), stationed at Sidi Yahia. I wish I could recall more names and had some pics to contributre, but, unfortunately, time takes its toll! I'm glad to have found this website, though, as it does bring back many fond memories. My first son was made in the Hotel Rotunde and was born in Casablanca at the hospital at Nouasseur AFB! Civil war and all, we enjoyed our time there. After leaving the Navy in 1955, I spent 30 years as an F.A.A. air traffic controller, retiring in 1987 from the Honolulu Air Traffic Control Tower. After that, I had a semi-second career with and retired from General Electric, as a Deskside Support Engineer. My home email address is pono3006@aol.com. Would like to hear from anyone during that era.

Ed Clayton, AC2 , Port Orange, FL

POSTED: 06/29/08 2100 hours

I'm an American journalist working on a book about the spread of surfing around the world, and I'm searching for the name of the serviceman who first paddled a surfboard out in Morocco in the 1950s. He was apparently a Marine who shaped his own board out of wood and paddled out in the late '50s, between 1957 and 1960. The session happened, according to legend, at Mehdiya Plage, and was stationed at Port Lyautey. He would have been the first person ever to surf Morocco, period. If anyone has a lead I would be grateful.

A few people on this board have helped me already; thank you. Feel free to e-mail me at editor@radiofreemike.com or post a comment at:


Any surf stories at all might help.


Michael Scott Moore


POSTED: 06/29/08 2100 hours

I am fred susick and I was a 3rd class radioman at sidi ayia from 1959 – 1961; after radio school (Bainbridge), I was advised to request Morocco because no one would want it; that I would have a great time; that there was much to see and experience in that country; so right!!! We were very busy and worked a 6 days-on, 4-off schedule; I was there during the massive earthquake at agadir that killed over 15000 people; rest of memories to lengthy to list; in particular, I would like to re-unite with russ roecker (Wisconsin) who was a buddy that I’ve never been able to locate. E-mail me at fsusick@neo.rr.com.

POSTED: 06/12/08 0830 hours

I googled my name today and this site came up. I was astonished to see me listed in it. Sad to say, however, my Navy experience in general, and this duty station in
particular, was something I would rather forget. But anyway, I would appreciate it very much if you would simply post my website address in the guestbook if
possible. It is: www.villaniphoto.com

Thanks so much,

Gerry Villani ~ villaniphoto@yahoo.com

Formerly, "Boogie w/ Beard"

POSTED: 06/12/08 0830 hours

Hi, my name is Hicham Sori and my family and I moved to the Kenitra Base in 1977 when I was 2 (Father is an officer in the Maroc AF). That place is such a big part of my life. I had my 2nd, 3rd, 4tth and 5th grade graduations in the chapel in 1985 and i ran and roamed all over the base (except for I wasnt supposed to go). I lived there until I finished High School in 1992. I always wondered what had happened there in the years before my family moved there. This website completes this part for me. I don't even know where to start, but A BIG THANK YOU is due to all of you who helped in building and maintaining that place. It was such a pristine area for me to call home. I learned how to swim at the same base pool that is in the pictures. I learned how to ride the bike on those streets and when I fell and scraped my knees, i went to the hospital to get all fixed up. I played in the trees and found some very old Budweiser bottles that made me wonder "who drank this here?"

Living on the Kenitra base always made me want to visit the US because it looked so different from the rest of Kenitra and Morocco (granted that its a very beautiful country in its own ways). Nevertheless, I ended up getting a degree from Auburn University in Alabama and I now live in Birmingham with my wife and new child.

This website and every one's postings will let me connect the dots for my son and explain to him my connection to here since I can remember. I haven't been there since 2001, when i went for a 2 week visit but the memories last.


A gratefull cvilian

POSTED: 06/20/08 0830 hours

Hi Lou,

Was referred to the site by Pat Weil, and what a neat idea. My name is Ron Whisner and I was stationed in Kenitra from 10/1975 - 5/1977. I was originally a Photographers Mate and, through total immaturity, wound up working as a Master at Arms for Chief Glenn Moore at the enlisted barracks. Ehh, had an authority problem. Probably still do. LOL! Anyhow, like most of the postings that I have read on the site, Morocco still stays at the top of my most bestest memories in life. I still have bragging rights when telling current friends of the happenings while there. Momma's, the Green Door, Meknes, Fes, Michlefin and the 10 of us that rented the one room at the Hotel there for a mere $12.50 (50 durham) a night. I still have the receipt for it. Wow! Some of those guys were, Vic Nuzzo, Pat Weil mailto:kia-ora@att.net, Ron Martin mailto:ronmartin@winco.net, Phil McNally mailto:pmcnally@shawmut.com, Kenny Croy, Crazy Luis Charles the printer, Tom Schaloo (Schaleeze) AFRTS guy, Lisa Cagle mailto:blazergyrl@aol.com or mailto:lisa@lighterfootstep.com , civilian AFRTS dependant. She was my sweetheart! Her friend Tina. The guy Joe from the mess hall. What a place for memories! It's funny, my wife and I were talking the other night and I told her that Morocco is a place that we are going to go to for a vacation. Let everyone know that they can get on Googles Map site and see the base from the new satellite imigary they have. I still remember ordering pizza for delivery on base. We'd order one for one side of the barracks, anonymously, then another pizza for the other side of the barracks, for the 2nd floor, during the interim we'd have someone outside of the barracks hiding behind a dumpster, most of the time Pat Weil(man) or Ron (Squeaky) Martin. When the driver took one of the pizzas in the barracks whoever was outside would simply remove one of the other pizzas from the golf cart delivery truck, and we'd meet them in the barracks for free pizza. What can I say? We only made $220.00 a month. If anyone has other addresses please forward them to me at mailto:evngrnr@yahoo.com . I also have allot of snail mail addresses and telephone numbers for others that were there if anyone wants them. Aside from that, Thanks again Lou for a place to start for all others to gather. You take care!

Ron Whisner Photographers Mate
36 Hillview Road
Airville, PA 17302

POSTED: 06/12/08 0830 hours

My name is Mike Jonak. I was stationed at USNTC Kenitra from September 1974 to March 1978 (shortly before the based closed). I was a journalist (JO). I had gone to print journalism "A" school after boot camp, and I was prepared to work on the base newspaper when I got to Kenitra. Unfortunately, they only had a radio station, so I learned to be a "DJ" on the job. We had a really good time, and there were a lot of cool people connected with the station: JO1 Dave Kronberger (late of the Oriskany), JO2 Maury Blatchford (with a voice like velvet), Paul and Joanne Waldrop, two JO's married to each other, Raenelle "Chick" Sandercock, the program director for my second stint at AFRS, her husband Tom Sandercock, who managed the American Express Bank on the base, JO1 Kenny ("Pigmeat") Marcum (station manager), JO2 Ron Maxwell, JO3 Gerry "Boogie" Villani, and a host of volunteers and friends of friends. My best friend was IC2 Chuck Byrd, with whom I roomed for my last year in Maroc. Chuck ("Don't call me Charlie") was dating Harriet Harden, the daughter of the command master chief, PNCM William Harden. He was a sailor's sailor and a really great guy. (Chuck and Harriet ended up getting married the year after I got out of the Navy.)

I guess I should mention a few of the officers: The CO at that time was Captain William I. Parrish. The XO was R.J. Hartranft. My boss was LtJg. Ralph Reed, a very cool and understanding guy to work for. (He let me get away with some stuff when I ended up starting a base newspaper after a year or so on the radio.) The paper was printed every week by LI3 Luis Charles, who never stopped complaining about how many pages I was bringing him, but always got the job done. Oh, I can't forget LT. Ivan Stevenson, the legal officer and kind of a buddy to some of the enlisted folks. Oh, and I shouldn't forget ET3 Glenn Adrian, aka "The Italian Stallion," who never let me forget Pittsburgh's crushing of the Vikings in the Super Bowl.

I have copies of all the NTC Bulletins from that era, so if we ever have a Kenitra reunion, I'll bring them with me. We had a lot of fun shopping on the economy, bartering for trinkets, and eating the wonderful local food. Ahh, and what could be better than a hot glass of mint tea at a sidewalk cafe in Kenitra? It was one of the most memorable times of my life, and everyone who has been there seems to agree it was the best duty station ever. And even now, 30 years after I left Kenitra, it is still a part of me. Oh, if you know of the whereabouts of any of the folks mentioned above (or you are one of them), you can contact me at kenitra77@yahoo.com . Love to hear from some of the old shipmates! Lou, thanks for keeping this site up. It looks great and is much appreciated.

Mike Jonak
Kenitra, Morocco--September 1974 to February 1978.

POSTED: 06/12/08 0830 hours

I was here for two years. I was stationed by FICELM and my wife and I lived at #7 Rue de Strasbourg in town. It was a beautiful time to be there.

Don Replogle, YN2, USN ~ e-mail: donreplogle@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 06/07/08 1730 hours

I was stationed at kenitra from 1964 through 1966 and was the food service officerplayed golf with father Keiffer and cdr rucci (the head doctor) and many more. If any of you played golf their or ate at the enlisted mess get in touch raydoris4949@qwest.net I now live in Phoenix, Arizona

Raymond P. Lasher, LCDR. USN. RET.

POSTED: 05/31/08 1730 hours

Hello Lou

I was stationed in kenitra from June 67 ( the day the 6 day war started) until June 69, also in looking through the link page , I noticed John Schoenfeld was mentioned, a good friend while stationed in Johnsville Pa, if anyone has John’s e-mail address, please forward to me.

Thanks …. Bill Lester

e-mail blester@chartertn.net

POSTED: 05/28/08 0830 hours


Please include my e-mail addresses in your log. Anyone in stationed in Kenitra from 1976 until the end of 1977 can contact me at the following e-mail addresses:

James.sutherland@moron.af.mil or BiggestWilly12@yahoo.com
Thank you,

James "Willy" Sutherland
Aircraft Support Services Division Manager
Morón Air Base
Morón, Spain
DSN 722-8661
Cell 677 454 001

POSTED: 05/28/08 0830 hours

Re: my previous entry, dated 10/13/03, 2110 hours. I have since moved to Port Orange, FL and my email address is now pono3006@aol.com. Would like to hear from anyone who ever attempted to contact me at my old address.

Ed Clayton.

POSTED: 05/26/08 0930 hours

Haven't checked in with you for quite some time Lou and glad to see that you are still keeping your web site going in your usual great style. Thought it was time to update my latest email address in the hope that some of my old friends might show up and drop me a note. As the years pass by faster now, it's still nice to reminisce about those years from 1951 to 1953 which are among my fondest memories. Too bad that I didn't have my present camera while at Port Lyautey (Kenitra) so the photos would have been better. Best wishes to you and yours,
Clifton Speed ( speed35173@charter.net )

Web-editor Note! Cliff contributed photographs of the base and Kenitra from the 1951 - 1953 era to this website and can be seen from the Newsletter link..

POSTED: 05/18/08 1350 hours


Tks for the chance to post. I served from Feb 56 to Sept 57 at radar hill,mostly,as well as the radio station. Harlan Randall and I were teamed up most of the time. I played all the sports and played in the first Camel Bowl game. I was a little light but didn't get hurt. Loved fast pitch and B ball.

I dated a yong lady whose name was Linda Snider, till she went back to Cal. to school, San Jose State to be exact. Some of the names I remember; Daddy Jack Hayes, Great golfer, Underwood, Roades, Ramsey, AH the memory is not real good. I should remember more names.

We played 8 man football in a league. Out team was Admin and our coach was the XO of the base. He hung the name "peanuts" on me. For what reason I don't know. We did well. Won all our games as I remember. Some names I remember, Jackson, Reeves, Arder and Randell.

I would love to hear from any one who fits in this time.

Lyle Lieffring

POSTED: 05/16/08 1310 hours

Thanks for the great website ! I was stationed at NAF Kenitra "63-64" . Assigned to Aircraft Maint. Department, working for Master Chief Frank Bull, The gratest MCPO I ever had the pleasure to meet. I was promoted to Chief, and initiated at the CPO Club. One of my good friends was a SeaBee Chief, named Paul O'neal. Also had a good friend named Hawke (Parachute rigger). Lots of other names come to mind. Bobby Brown, Yeo, Stan Sokolowski, Jack Shea. I served 24 years in the US Navy, and must say that Kenitra was the best duty I ever had ! Loved the country and the people. The pictures and the guest book entries bring back many good memories.

Al Freeze
Master Chief USN Ret.

POSTED: 05/16/08 1430 hours

I served at the weather station atop the terminal building at Port Lautey Naval Air Station from January 1956 through August 1957. I am curious of there are others still surviving and if anyone has returned to visit the station and Kenitra which was called Port Lyautey when I first arrived in Morocco.

Harlan L Higgins AG2, e-mail: repete36@comcast.net

POSTED: 05/15/08 2000 hours

I was a Marine PFC stationed at 1st Guard Company,Port Lyautey from 1959 thru 1961. My Company Commander was Captain Fuetterer (not positive of the spelling). He was, without a doubt, the most squared away Marine Officer that I have ever had the privelege of serving with. I crossed paths with him briefly during one of my Vietnam trips, but have since lost track of him. As a result of his example and the values he instilled in me, I continued on to serve nearly 21 years in the Corps.
I have many fond memories of Port Lyautey, the guys, the facilities and of course, the airfield. Many times when I was off duty and had a little time, I sat on the hillside by the airstrip and watch all the activities. I remember the old Gull Winged Corsairs that the French, by then had and enjoyed those beautiful old warbirds doing their daily operations. Of course there were also the P2V Neptunes, and sea planes as well as the various cargo and passenger planes. Once in a while, the Air Force would slip one of their huge Globemasters in there. The French also had British Lancasters and little Vampire jets. We were occasionally afforded the opportunity to take some leave, and catch a hop on one of the old Marine Flying Boxcars shuttling different places around Europe. I've got loads of pictures piled away somewhere of some of the old planes and such from then. I hated to leave that place in 61', but orders are orders.

I'll always remember my first overseas tour in Morocco.

G. Smyser ~ 17lopez@earthlink.net

POSTED: 05/15/08 2000 hours

Great website. I seved at Marine Barracks, Kenitra, mainside from October 1964 to December 1965. I worked with the Boy Scout Troop mainside and took them on a camping trip to the mountains near Khenifra in the spring of 1965. I met a Jewish girl Viviane (maiden name Ezerzer) and married her. She was born and raised in Casablanca. Forty-two years later we live in northern California with our four children and three grandchildren all within 70 miles of us. I spent nearly 31 years in the Marine Corps, retiring in 1991. Since then I have held several positions with the Federal Government and now work for the Federal Aviation Administration.

Viviane and I had great times dancing at the Fleet Reserve Club in Kenitra. Spend many weekends at the Hotel Mamora. Does anyone remember Jack's Bar and the jackal burgers and expresso coffee? How about the bar run by the two French girls up the street a ways? Anyone overy go the the MUSLO Club in Rabat at the American Embassy? Did anyone ever go to Lake Romi, another place I took the scouts camping?

I remember names and faces of people like Chief Leblanc, SgtMaj Williams, Bob Stone, Stu Slagle, Ron Wheeler, Bennie (Mohamed Ben Mohamed) and Bouchaib our housemen, Lucien Moquin, Norm Thibault, Captain Gann, Captain Maddox, Major Fry, Colonel Canton, GySgt Gomes, SSgt Hodgson, SSgt Menart - all in the past now, but fondley remembered.

I would love to hear from anyone at the Marine Barracks during the period Oct 64 to Dec 65. I found Ed Bragole who was a Sergeant at Mainside and at Bouknadel during that period. He was shot up bad in 'Nam and is medically retired and doing well. I can be contacted at mgysgtmac@yahoo.com.

Thanks again for the great website.

David P. McKee
MGySgt, USMC (Ret)

POSTED: 05/12/08 1830 hours

My name is George Niebler (gniebler@aol.com). I was stationed at Port Lyautey from 1961 thru 1963. I was an airman at the time, working with a crew loading passengers and cargo at the air terminal. I transferred when the main air terminal operations were moved up to Rota Spain around Sept 1963. I used to hang out down town at a place called the Cafe-De-Sports which was next to the Princess hotel, and also the Fleet Reserve Association. My son who is in the Peace Corps just visited Kenitra at my request and took a lot of pics for me, I cant wait for his return to the states in June so I can see them. He told me where the Cafe-De-Sports is located, is now considered the old city part of town, and the city has increased in size tremendously since I was there. I remained in the Navy for 28 years retiring in 1987 as a Chief Warrant Officer (CWO-4. I would do it all over again if I had the chance. I am now retired in Spring hill Florida, just north of Tampa. Thanks for this site, it sure brought back many enjoyable memories. George.

POSTED: 05/11/08 2100 hours

Greetings Lou, hello ex-Moroc tour servers, My father served with the US Air Force at base outside Kenitra/Port Lyautey in 1966-1967. My sister and I attended High School on base. We lived off base. My father and I joined the Kenitra Bowmen Archery Club and I practically lived in the clubhouse.

If anyone was stationed there and remembers the archery course and happens to have any pictures, It would be great to see them.

I enjoyed the Fleet Club and live music, and knew many Navy & Marine servicemen. My father, a WWII veteran knew the trouble they could get into, so there was plenty of beer and home cooked meals and a spot on the floor or rooftop patio for them to sleep.

I got in a street brawl along with three Marines one night. My folks encouraged the single servicemen to stay at our house when they had a weekend pass. We didn't have much money and it was a warm evening so we decided to hike the three or four miles from the Fleet Club to Bir Rami II where we lived.

A group of Moroccans started following us and got on our heels asking for "dirhams". The odds were 3 or 4 to 1. One of them made the mistake of trying to grab a wristwatch off one of the Marines arm. The fight was on. Knowing if someone got hurt badly there would be huge trouble, the Marines would dodge a swing, then shove the guy to the ground then do a foot sweep on the next one, shove a third into a wall. Hooting and laughing the whole time. In ten seconds it was over. We jogged for a few blocks right down the middle of the street.

Then we started singing "Yellow Submarine" except "the big green machine" was substituted for the original words. We filed into my folks house like nothing happened.

I am still in touch with several guys from Moroc and we exchange emails weekly. I would like to communicate with some of my archery buddies from that time. Tony Cavazos, Jake ?, Grimsley, Bob Storey, Wolfe, Pat Patterson, Marzak, Dan ?.

I used to hang out in the Oasis and listen to the juke box, and see a different movie each night.

My father was M/SGT Raymond Sutton, my name is Bryce. Email maxxrange@aol.com

POSTED: 05/10/08 1020 hours

Was an rm3 stationed at bouknadel rtf 1975 to 1977, would like to hear from some fellow shipmates that were there, fellow marines are also invited, one of my memories was of a local called JOHN who was a bartender at bouk.....served twenty years to include the submarine force, but morocco will always be my most remembered duty station

RMC(SS) Bill Kasten

POSTED: 05/08/08 1145 hours

I was stationed at the NAVCOMMSTA Sidi Yahia from Jan 76 - NOV 77. I was involved with the base closure. I came to Morocco as a PNSN and left as a PN2. My name was Barbara Fleitz while I was stationed there. I enjoyed Morocco immensely. I did a lot of traveling while I was there. Really made a lot of friends and had a very good time. I worked harder there though than I ever had in my life. After I left Morocco, I divorced and married Dale Harrington (who was stationed there Jan 76 - APR 77). Dale did 30 years in the navy and retired as an ITCM. I did 6 years active and left as a PN1. Seventeen years later, I joined the USNR and did 6 years. I traveled to Korea, Ketchikan, AL, President Bush's first inauguration, Fleet Week in New York city, and a month on the USS Eisenhower. Dale and I have two daughters ages 26 and 24. We also have an adorable 10 month old granddaughter. We have been living in Norfolk, VA off and on since 1978. Feel free to email me if you are an old shipmate of mine from Morocco.


POSTED: 05/07/08 1610 hours

My dad, Bob Frater, was attached to VR 24 …’54 to ’57 I believe. I remember living there. Went to school on base, played Little League for two years. I love the site and the Photo’s bring back a great many memories I actually thought I had forgotten. I was reading some of the Other ‘Guestbook” correspondence and had to laugh when I read Mr Praters. He stated he bought and old blue Studebaker…..I think my family owned it at one time.

Dads 87 now. But he still remembered the numbers of the R5’s he flew when I showed him this web site.

Very Nicely done.

Not to steal a catch phrase but.. Thanks For the Memories !!

Steve Frater ~ sfrater@floridastainless.com

POSTED: 05/06/08 1600 hours

Okey Cart AT2/AT3, VR-24 Flight Radioman from 1961-1963. Most enjoyable tour of duty in 23 years. Okey_Cart@notes.tcs.treas.gov

POSTED: 05/03/08 1430 hours

Was there in 62 & 63 at the Station Hospital. It was a wonderful tour to say the least, really enjoyed it, time for me went by too fast. I guess the thing that stands out in my mind most was the flood and after the water receded the Moroccans building the dikes on the Sabou River. All they had was an ancient backhoe and an even more ancient dump truck. When they finished it looked like real professionals had done the job.

Bob O'Brion HM1/Ret ~ obieone331@aol.com
Hermiston, Oregon

POSTED: 04/30/08 2100 hours

Hi Lou,

I am still around and getting older by the day. Next month the big 85. That is just a number though. I hope you are both healthy and happy. Give my love to Massachusetts.

I got an e-mail from Brenda Benadom. She was a civilian and arrived shortly before we left in 68. She had news of Remo Nesti's death.He was well known on the base. He was Carl's safety man or something like that. He was from Italy but American. He was quite an artist and did a lot of art work for people on the base. I think many will remember him. He died in France on April 10th. His wife will reside in Florida now and they will spread Remo's ashes in the Gulf of Mexico. I thought I would send this bit of news to those that he did art work for or maybe they were friends of his.

I see you are still working hard on this web site and it is helping to keep the family of Kenitra together.

Thanks lots Jeri Yasi ~ jeriyaz@aol.com

Web-Editor's Note! Jeri Yasi spent three years in Morocco with her husband Carl who was the Industrial Relations Officer. Her link on the Port Lyautey website is http://www.portlyautey.com/Yasi.htm

POSTED: 04/29/08 0730 hours

Hey Lou: I just found your great cite and want to "get in the game". I am Dennis Foley, was a SN and made PN3 at Educational Services Office in the Admin Bldg. during September 1967-December 1968. I distinctly remember having spent "much" time at The Fleet and Happy Bar, TV Zorros's downtown and Jour et Nuit, in Rabat. As far as I can remember, my first-line officer was Lt. Jack DAMERON; other guys I worked with and/or was a good pal with are: Dan WRIGHT (Lubbock, Texas, my work-mate and friend), Ray Young (and wife Jerry), Bruce MAURITZ (Indiana, close pal, from Supply), Dan McNally (NY, Supply), DEON and family, Harvey MILLER (who married a gal from Rabat named Gigi), and Charley FISHER (NY) and too many others to remember. It's late at night now and I've been surfing for hours and can't think straight. Anybody out there remember me?? Would sure like to hear from you. Thanks and best luck. Regards, Dennis Foley, "tophatter@bellsouth.net"

POSTED: 04/22/08 2200 hours

Great idea. I was a Lieutenant in the Air Force and was supply officer for the 1975th AACS Squadron on Sidi Slimane AFB in 1955 - 1957. For those who may not know Sidi is about 35 miles east of Port Lyautey. My first son was born at the Port Lyautey NAS in 1957. I notice from the flight simulator that the air strip at Sidi is still active and wonder what it is used for. I would love to hear from anyone stationed there at the same time. I have always wanted to go back for a day to see how
things have changed but have not had the opportunity. If anyone has traveled there recently I would love to hear about it.

Dick Dalton

POSTED: 04/17/08 2230 hours

hello i'm jerry l. achey i was in morocco in 1967 & 68 i was a corp. when i got to morocco but made sgt. before i left, it is always good to hook up with people you have servied with in the past few days i have found a few guys i was stationed with in morocco and we now exchange e-mails daily

thank you


POSTED: 04/17/08 0650 hours


I was station in Port Lyautey after boot camp at Bainbridge, MD from 1955 to Approx 1957. Flew MATS out of McGuire AFB to Azores then to North Africa not sure were we landed but arrived at Base and had Mess Cooking 3 months. I was a Airdale Airman rate.

Then assigned to Crash Crew at Terminal Buillding served there.till I made AT3 before leaving. Then Flew Mats back to states then assigned to Key West Naval Airstation till discharge in 1959, AT3. I know we Landed in Bermuda, on way back to states.

Sure remember the P2V's and the R5D and R6D and a squardon of F7U Cutless station at base. Took some rides in P2V's was fun to set up in nose and Look at the scenery below.

Hope this finds you well
Lane Goodman, Linton, IN Age 71 ~ e-mail: zane77oo7@yahoo.com

POSTED: 04/15/08 0850 hours

My Name is Joseph C. King. I was a member of VR 24 for 18 months. January 1958 thru September 1959. It was the best duty I had as an "Airdale" in my 4 years of Navy service.

I came from VF-103 where i was a 17-18 year old plane captain on F9F-8 Cougars and F8U Crusaders. I strapped in some of the finest fighter pilots the Navy ever saw, including John Young. After VR-24 I was assigned to a HS Squadron. We operated out of Norfolk, VA. aboard the USS Randolph CVS 15. Our Admiral was a certain J. Thatch. He delighted in losing his Marine escort. He would shake his escort, and unexpectedly drop in to our little AE shop near the stern, and have a cup of coffee with us, while his marine escort was frantically searching for him.

When I reported into VR 24, I started as a plane washer / hanger sweeper. I finagled my way into the AE shop, and into flying status. I also managed to be assigned 3 months TDY to our Capodecheno Naples Detachment where I refueled TF 1s, and transient R5Ds and did "night check" duty. Naples was a terrific duty station. I did see a lot of Italy, but I wish I had a little more sense of the opportunities open to me.But, the one thing I really enjoyed most, was being able to fly. It didn't matter if I received "skins" or not. Just being able to get aboard a R5D and get up in the cool air was heaven to me.

When I did finally get on the "payroll", I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I remember the 242 club in London, the crew's apartment in London. The friendship of the English citizens. The comfort and spaciousness of the crew's apartment in Naples. I also remember the time our crew spent in Madrid, Spain, when we had a runaway prop on engine 1 while quietly cruising above Spain, that scared the crap out of everyone. We landed at Torrjon (USAF base). The runway was about 3 miles long, and the USAF didn't want us to try to take off to return to Port Lyautey with only 3 fans turning. After much discussion, our AC (Aircraft Commander) relented and let the USAF make us take off the next morning. We enjoyed the hospitality of Madrid that night.

The one thing I regret most of my time in the Navy, is that I didn't request to extend my tour of duty in VR 24. If I had, I may well have becomea "Navy lifer".


POSTED: 04/14/08 1230 hours

I'm French living at LYON in FRANCE and I lived in PORT-LYAUTEY, MOROCCO from 1940 to 1960 and I had an american friend ERWIN LOSEE who was stationed there; I knew him in1958. My name is GEORGES NAVARRO . I worked in the railway station of Port-Lyautey. If someone knew this man please send me a mail.

Georges ~ My e-mail: navarro1082@wanadoo.fr

POSTED: 04/14/08 0900 hours

My father, Eugene H. Moyer, was a Navy pilot who transferred to Port Lyautey , in the summer of 1949 when I was about 6-months old. We lived on base in a Quonset hut, which is one of the few things I remember (and I’m not sure how much of that is actual memory vs. recollections from the slide shows we watched as kids of our time in Morocco). My father and mother, Em Moyer, were stationed there for three years, returning to the States in 1952. I remember stories of the golf course…with sand “greens;” my mother’s only “hole-in-one” happened here.

My father remained in the Navy and eventually retired in the Washington, D.C. area after his last tour with JCS. He passed away on February 22, 2006 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetery. My mother remains in northern Virginia in a retirement community in Springfield.

Cynthia Macleod ~ cynthia.macleod@npbfg.com

POSTED: 04/14/08 0900 hours

Gentlemen: In Feb/Mar 1958 we sent a detachment of A3Ds to Pt Lyautey for about two plus weeks. When they left Lyautey they had a distinct LOGO painted on the side. Do any of you remember them (Det) or have a picture of the Logo???

V.H.Kretsinger VAH-3 56/58 ~ VKRETSINGER@bak.rr.com

POSTED: 04/10/08 1000 hours

My neighbor and good friend, Ramon McGough, was stationed in Port Lyautey from 1943 to 1945. He has told us many stories about the place and the people. Especially Miss Kitty, who was the widow of a French Officer and ran a laundry was very dear to his heart.

My question: does anyone remember her? I believe she owned a Café in Kenitra later, but I can’t find any information.

Any help would be appreciated!

Heidi Miller, Sanford, Florida ~ hmiller@seminolecountyfl.gov

POSTED: 04/09/08 1945 hours

Interesting site. I was a Builder in Morocco from Apr 77 - Aug 78. I was with the Public Works Dept. I arrived on Friday and we had a meeting on Monday, the announcement was made the base was closing. When our VW arrived, nothing was in it, the things we had to leave in it. My wife was there and my daughter was born at the clinic. Wife was the only one in the labor. Believe that? We sure have some fond memories. We used to go up to Lake Roma and stay in a cabin there. I let a five pd bass get out of my hand and back in the water that no one believed I caught. Use to fish the Rabat reservoir also, good bass fishing. I bought a moped and used to race it, usually won. Dependants and car were shipped out before I left and the moped was my only transportation. My wife, me and the baby girl used to ride it to the base theater and home (on the moped). Housing was turned over to the Moroccan army before the military left and they were stripped of appliances, etc.

When we got our HHG in VA, there was a lot of things gone. I don't think that Moroccans thought they stole stuff. It was provided by Muhammad.

We had a maid for $15 dollars a week (that was more than normal). She used to make some good Moroccan dishes. We helped her buy a loom to make rugs after we left. The first rug she and her girls made was ours. Still have it. This lady had 11 people living in her house.

Morocco was interesting, reminded me of Biblical lands. Shopping downtown in the open market was fun, and occasionally we ate outside at a restaurant. It was lamb on a stick. Good! There were some people that did not like us there, the French I think. I never felt in danger. I regretted my tour was cut short.

BU1 Wm Queen (Pete)
Clover, SC wqueen3@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 04/07/08 0730 hours

My brother and I were both born there in 1955 and 54. My father, Nelson Granzella was stationed there for several years along with my mother Helen Granzella. They still both live in Sacramento, California. They have always told me how much they enjoyed their time there and how they hated to leave. If anyone one remembers them drop me a line at Lgranzella@modestofire.com. Thanks for a nice web page.

POSTED: 04/02/08 1930 hours

Just surfed in to the site. I was at your base in October 1958 for about 3 weeks. I was a Seaman Apprentice and just out of boot camp and on my way to pick up my ship (The USS Oglethorpe AKA 100) in Istanbul. I think all I did was walk around with my mouth open, I was only 17 and a few months old and here I was in Morocco. Big deal for a little boy from Duluth. Anyway I like your site and enjoy reading some of the guestbook comments. Good luck to you all.

Darrell Barry ~ dbarry@outdrs.net

POSTED: 03/30/08 1940 hours


I was stationed at NAS from 1958 until around Aug.1959 (18 months, normal tour), I was wondering if there are any plans to setup a way to search all the guest books by name because when I am looking for old buddies I had to go through all the guest books and this took quite awhile.

Jim O'Beirne SN 1958-1959 (worked at post office at air terminal) ~ magnolia227@hotmail.com

POSTED: 03/28/08 2005 hours

Hello my name is Don Barden. I was in the U.S. Airforce working on the Casey Jones Project in 1946 stationed with about 26 other air force men. We participated in the aerial mapping of Africa down to the Canary Islands and mapping into Europe.. I have noticed that there is never any mention of our unit being there attached to the naval base.. If it is still there I was there when the club house was built on the beach. There was still four LST boats on the beach that had been damageged by artillery hits during the invasion. Us Air men had a great life there. The Navy stood dress inspection every Saturday and we sat on the Tarmac watching. We had two B17s, the Navy had a big airsea rescue plane and the naval Captain of the base had a single seater like a training plane. We had been told that he was an American Eagle flying for England before our entry into the war. After our mission there we went to Erlangen Germany, We spent a year in Port Lyautey. Really enjoyed ourselves in Tangiers. If any Air Force or Naval men who were in Lyautey in 1946 would like to write they can reach me at donsal8611@aol.com

POSTED: 03/25/08 1450 hours

Hello to those that were at Port Lyautey during the years 1952-1956. I knew several men that were transferred to the Cheltenham, MD communications station.

Paul Galow

POSTED: 03/24/08 0330 hours

Hi: My name is Fred Rankin, I was stationed in Sidi Bouknadel from Sept.61 to Mar. 65. I operated the telephone and microwave link between Bouk and Sidi Yahia. We lived in Kenitra for a short time and then on the base @ Bouk. I was a newly wed (Sept,61) and our son was born as the base hospital an NAS.

What a great time we had there. years and years later my wife said "I wish we were in Morocco. Any one with memories or shipmate names from this time would appreciate them also any pictures of Bouknadel...........tks I am IC1,USN ret.

POSTED: 03/12/08 1330 hours


my father, William E. Stanton LCDR ("Bill") and my mother Marion were stationed at the Port in the early 1960's. He flew C-130's around the european route as i remember. as a kid, i attended the base school although we chose to live in town. growing up in Morocco was a really rich experience for a kid and i have so many memories of playing golf at the base, hanging out at the exchange, and all the friends i had. i remember the wonderful local food, the hot winds that would blow through in the summer, the remarkable beaches, my cub scout uniform 'disappearing' off the close line several times, the first time my mother brought home snails to cook and they proceeded to escape all over the kitchen, taking the budda (sp?) gas tanks back for refill, learning french to talk to the kids in town, and my great teachers at the base school--Mrs Cook was a stunner!

well sadly, my father passed away at the age of 48 leaving Marion to raise me from 16 out here in the SFO area. Marion had a great life until the age of 76 and passed away very peacefully in her home in Saratoga. Marion left behind myself and my wife (midori) and our son (mark) who recently graduated from Columbia. Not sure if anyone reading this will remember my
parents, but certainly our time in Kentria was filled with exciting times. I was watching a preview of Matt Dameon's new movie about the Iraq war that is being filmed in Kenitra, which caused me to seek this web-site out. thanks for taking the time to maintain it.

bob stanton ~ bobstanton@mac.com
palo alto, ca

POSTED: 03/03/08 0745 hours



POSTED: 03/01/08 0530 hours

I was stationed at Sidi Yahia (Naval Communications Site) at the Receiver Site 1968 - 1970.
RMC Terry McCutchen USN (Retired) ~ kmccutc@comcast.net

POSTED: 02/24/08 2020 hours

Hello Lou,

This Internet is something,To think you can contact people you haven't seen or talk to in 50 years. I have thought about Port Lyautey many times and often wondered where all the people that were at your side are, and are they well? I still have many many pictures taken while there. I have to agree with the many people who have said how good it was serving there. And I am glad to have had that opportunity. Anyone who would like to contact me, please do so at rzeallor@verizon.net. Thanks!

Richard Zeallor, Philadelphia, PA

POSTED: 02/19/08 0850 hours

Hi Lou

I was very glad to hear about your site. My name is Josette and was born in Kenitra Morocco. I lived there 18 years with my parents 34 Place D'arrace, next to the shcool of la ville haute. I maried a sailor Richard Morin He worked for Capt. Counihan at the Naval Air Base. Although we are no longer maried, I am remaried to a retired Navy Commander . He used to fly in and out of Kenitra when he was younger. His name is Royce Eaton. We live in Ormond Beach, Florida.

I heared about your site from a school friend who is the president of AAKPPA . Amicale des anciens Kenitreens /Port lyauteens de Pau & pays de L'Adour. We are all born in Kenitra and all from different Nationality. We meet once a year some place in France or Spain we even went back to Morocco in 2004. we were 250 there. We have a ball. We are more than 600 in the association.

If you want to know more about us you can e-mail me at jeatonfl2@aol.com. Hope I hear from you.

Josette Eaton

POSTED: 02/19/08 0850 hours

Wow! What a rush of memories! Just fournd this site and couldn't be happier. My name is Robert Atkinson and I was stationed at Port Lyautey in the early months of 1947 with Utility Squadron Four as a seaman bucking for Aviation Electrician. I was transferred there from the Utility Squadron Four installation at the RAF's Hendon Field, outside of London, England. Our home base was at Chincoteague, Virginia. My memory is a bit fuzzy at 79 years of age but two incidents stand out. One of my first night watchs was at an open quarry we used as a storage area down by the Wadi Sabu River. The local scavengers were frequent visitors anxious to run off with anything they could carry. It was a midnight to 4 a.m. stint. I was driven down there in a jeep, dropped off alone, and told to fend off any intruders. I had a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun and a flashlight. It was the longest four hours of my life. At first I wandered around the crates, jumping at every little sound, trying to turn the flashlight in all directions at once. The last three hours I spent with my back against a wooden packing crate with the flashlight and gun barrel in one hand and the other hand on the trigger guard. I figured I'd turn on the flashlight and whatever it showed would be in the line of fire. Nothing happened, of course, but it was an adventure to a 17-year-old. The other incident also involved guns. Word came down that the Sengalese were rebelling against the French and we went on full alert. There was a small shack down by the main entry to the base and a low cement wall about 100 yards behind it. We had a light machine gun posted at the gate and the rest of our group, all armed with ancient Springfields and only three rounds off ammo each, were behind the wall. Happily, the maurauding horde never showed up and we got out of the hot sun. On liberty we'd go into the medina at Sale and barter with the venders using script we got on payday; we weren't allowed to carry American money. The Arabs accepted the script as legal tender. One day we were all restricted to base, ordered to turn in our script and given new bills in exchange. Arab merchants for miles around were suddenly stuck with worthless paper. Needless to say, they were very angry and liberty wasn't too pleasant after that. I was only there for a few months and was sent home upon the death of my mother. At the moment I'm the historian for the USS Tarawa CV-40 Veterans' Association, my ship in later days.

Bob Atkinson, e-mail: tarawa@dreamscape.com

POSTED: 02/17/08 2130 hours

Thank you for this website. My Dad, Arnold Greene (Archie) served in PL 1951-1953. He was a MM working in the Motor Pool. My Mom and I came over in 1952 by MATTS and he had his car shipped over from Boston. I am trying to locate "Corky" and Janine Thorpe. Janine was French. We were close friends who lived off base. They had a son Alain. Any info would be appreciated! Petty Officer (CT) Sue Cox.

Sue Cox ~ winninglifestyle@yahoo.com

POSTED: 02/14/08 1300 hours

I really enjoy this site. Would love to hear from anybody that was stationed there. I was there from 1956-1958
T.A.THOMPSON, CPL USMC ~ pitstopdelivery@aol.com

POSTED: 02/13/08 1515 hours

My name is Don Kozak from New York. I was at Port Lyautey from Dec.1958 to June 1960 attached to the fleet weather central. If anyone remembers me give me a shout. dkozak@emtec-engineers.com

POSTED: 02/12/08 1645 hours

Assigned to Navy 214, Fleet Weather Central, Port Lyautey, Kenitra, Morocco from 1961 until 1963 as an AGAN and then AG3. Afterwards assigned to USSS Enterprise CVA(N)65 until seperation. I still remember wearing a Sportscoat and tie to go off base. Great tour.

J.J.Day ~ jday7@tampabay.rr.com

POSTED: 02/08/08 0740 hours

I hope that I am doing this right. If so I will be back on with more questions, but for now__ Does anyone remember the De Prince Hotel and across the street was a night club? We stayed there for about two months before we got housing --Do not remember the name -We listened to the music everynight ---it kept us awake a lot, but at our young age, well!!!

Sally ~ sallync24@yahoo.com

POSTED: 02/06/08 0840 hours

What a great site. I finished Radio School at Norfolk in November '56. Having graduated at the bottom of my class due to some physical complications, I was certain I would get a horrible billet. But God was good...I spent 18 months at Sidi Yahia and had a really good time. I arrived there December 21, 1956 (missing my first Christmas at home, ever) and stayed until June 1958. My saddest regret is that I can't remember the names of any of the guys with whom I served. It was a standard procedure for the the news guys to serve mess duty but because they were short-handed in the shack, I missed that pleasure! I spent my time operating CW with ship to shore and GFG in Gibralter. The CTs didn't monitor the latter frequencies too often, so there was a lot of unofficial communicating going on. Hung around mostly with a long drink of water from Tennessee, I think last name Morris...not sure. He married a tiny Wave from Brooklyn I think and they really were a pretty pair. He was about 6'5" and she was probably less than 5'.

When it came time to ship out they gave us a form to fill out indicating our preference for sea duty. I requested a tin can on the east coast, west coast, wherever.

So they sent me to the Amphibs. In July '58 I flew to the Mediterranean to board the USS Olmsted APA 188. We served in the Lebanon Crisis, came home in the latter part of '58. The ship was decommissioned 2/27/59 but I had been transferred 1/21/59 to the USS Waldo County LST 1163 where I served until I was discharged in January 1960. The first ship was turned into scrap metal, I assume. The Waldo County was decomissioned 12/21/70 but escaped the scrap pile by being eventually sold to the Peruvian Navy. What is kind of ironic is that in researching the LSTs history, I noticed that in September '55 it had been at Port Lyautey!

Thanks for letting me reminisce. If any of the men who served at Sidi Yahia or on the ships I was on, remember me and want to contact me, I would love to hear from them.

Jack Bowman

POSTED: 02/05/08 1315 hours

I'm Jim Speed and I lived in Kenitra from '58-'61 as a dependent of Harvey Speed, a Navy pilot with VR-24. I attended Thomas Mack Wilhoite High in the 9th-12th grades. I'm interested in communicating with those who knew me back then during those great years. Thanks for responding. Jim

e-mail: jimspeed@cox.net

POSTED: 02/01/08 1300 hours

I am a Moroccan in the US Marines.

Thank you,

Adam Amine Guennoun


POSTED: 01/29/08 1600 hours

John Bryan, IMC, USN (Ret.), Sidi Yahia – Jan. 1968 to Dec. 1969, Kenitra – Apr. 1975 – Apr. 1978

Worked in the supply dept. at Sidi repairing typewriters. Made E-6 there. Lived downtown with SK2 Chuck Curry. Had an old white Ford station wagon that was a ‘liberty mobile’. Remember standing watch for the Marines while they went to the Marine birthday ball. Drank too much and lucky not to “CATCH” anything! Does anyone remember the auto decals, “Headers by LG”?

Returned in 1975 to Kenitra. Worked in the office equipment repair shop in Public Works. Worked with Jim Culliton (deceased), Don Devers and Dennis ? Had a radio show every Sat. , “American Graffiti”, where Jim (the old man of the sea) and I would play oldies and ask trivia questions. I still remember the ambassador’s wife calling in to the show. I also DJ’ed ‘Disco’ dances at the EM club and at one time played in a band. I managed the EM club for a while and then went to manage the CPO Club (I lived on CPO hill.) My 2nd son was born there. This was probably the best duty station of my 21 year career.

e-mail: webmaster@bigjohn767.com

POSTED: 01/26/08 @ 0835 hours


My name is Robert "Bob" Windrow and I was an ENFN/EN3 working at the base power plant in '66/'67. Anyone remember the conditions on the base during the '67 Arab/Israeli war?! How about "Nickle Night" at the base enlisted club? It was a beautiful place to be during that time period. And who could forget the semi-annual base "Defense Drills"? Nothing like a large group of grown(?) men running around in the brush hollering "Bang, Bang, you're dead!!!!" Anybody out there from Public Works during that time period?

Bob Windrow ~ robert.windrow@us.bosch.com

POSTED: 01/25/08 @ 1315 hours

Dear Lou,

My name is Walter R. Paulick, and I was a AMS2, USN. I served In Morocco as an air crewman on a C-47 and then a C-177 from May 1968 until June 1970. The two year tour was most enjoyable and the experience of living in a host nation with my new Navy extended family was one of the most memorable experiences to date. Working with my extended family, Moroccan military officials and the Moroccan civilian population was most enlightening. This tour of duty also allowed me to see parts of Europe that I might not have been able to experience otherwise. I regularly think about where my fellow service personnel are now. This past Christmas, I was pleasantly surprised to hear from two former colleges after 39 years. The things we Americans routinely take for granted are privileges or luxuries in other countries. My email address is wrpaulick@aol.com and I will gladly respond to anyone request. My the good Lord find all in good health with happiness and prosperity. Walter R. Paulick, AMS2, USN

POSTED: 01/22/08 @ 1145 hours

In remembrance of my Step-Father, Nicholas Wesley, CS2, USN, Deceased Feb. 1966 (USS Haven AH-12), US Naval Station, Long Beach, CA.

Assigned to US Naval Air Station, Port Lyautey, Kenitra, Morocco from 14 September 1959 - 2 June 1961.


Dennis Heaton, Retired, USAF ~ jacodenn@yahoo.com

POSTED: 01/17/08 @ 1615 hours

Happy New Year Lou! I need to correct my E / mail address to read Boycop@Bell South.net. I reversed it when I signed in last year. I was so thrilled to find this great site that I sent it wrong.I have found several friends on your site. Time has a way of escaping us after all those years. I miss the brotherhood and bond we all had at Port Lyautey. I had many first's in Morocco. My first time seeing snow,my first glass of wine,and at Eighteen my first trip to Momma's. Thanks, Errol L.Coppedge CEW2 USNR; CB Forever-Retired

POSTED: 01/14/08 @ 1315 hours

My name is Bob LeBlanc and as an airman worked cargo and line crew from Nov.1954 for six months before transferring to the detachment at Naples. Great memories from both stations. Left active duty and returned to Mass. Moved to Fl. in 1986. Would enjoy hearing from anyone there at these times.Would love to hear from CJ Hoerner. EMail is deneleb@bellsouth.net

POSTED: 01/14/08 @ 1130 hours

A good friend whose family was also stationed in Morocco with my family sent your website to us! Delightful, and I've spent all afternoon browsing through the entries in the guest books. My husband Leo (Mac) McCluskey, RMC was stationed at Sidi Yahia in August 1967 to October 1969. We lived in Kenitra on the economy at first, until moving to base housing. What an experience -- living in Morocco was a wonderful thing, and we thoroughly enjoyed the tour. My husband echoes the thoughts of many others -- "best duty station ever" --. If any of you remember Mac and Ann McCluskey, please send e-mail to mac102@metrocast.net. We are retired in New Hampshire.

Mac and Ann McCluskey

POSTED: 01/10/08 @ 1030 hours

I served in Kenitra in 1965 and 1966 – Aviation Electrician 3rd Class. I was assigned to work on the R4 (Douglas DC 3) duty aircraft and also had flight manifest responsibilities for all incoming and outgoing MATS aircraft.

Dan Williams ~ daniel.j.williams@sbcglobal.net

POSTED: 01/03/08 @ 0030 hours

I was at the barracks, mainside in 1957 -59. My Company Commander was a Capt Kuhn. I wonder if anyone knows where he is now ??? I think that he was also the Adjutant or something like that. He taught me lot of good lessons ---I grew up there. Sometimes I would baby sit for them ---they --his wife--had a young son and lived in the quonset huts on the base. They were
always very nice to this young 19 year old PFC. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks Jim

e-mail: jimboy2_99@yahoo.com