Attack Squadron VA 85 started out as the 859th reserve squadron on February 1,1951, flying the Grumman TBM-3E Avenger. It was redesignated as VA-85 on February 4, 1953 and disestablished on September 30, 1994. Between August 1954 to Feb 1955 a four (4) aircraft detachment, from the USS Champlain, CVA 39 was assigned temporary duty to NAS Port Lyautey.The detachment consisted of pilots, air crew and plane captains. Assigned as a plane captain was Werner Meyer, ADR2 who furnished the following photographs. Werner can be reached at doweswift645@gmail.com. Following are detachment photographs at Port Lyautey and four (4) photographs of personnel.

 

Every barracks at Port Lyautey had a pet dog, VA-85 and Werner Meyer were no exception. Summer of 1954

Werner Meyer on left, Bob Johnson AT3 right side. Summer 1954.

 

 

At the market, kneeling was Ben Sherman AT2, Werner Meyer on right..............................At Port Lyautey, there was always plenty of sun to dry out wash.......